Cant live without it?

Scottfab

Helpless Mac Newbie
What are the shareware, freeware, utilities, applescripts, or whatever else that people have come across over time that they just cant live without. For example, some might say cocktail, and others might say launchbar. A list like this would be useful for Mac newbies... such as myself.

HI Scottfab

I think as a start one can have a look at :
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50954

Quicksilver is definitely the one for me along with Konfabulator and Pithelmet
Then it would be Carbon Copy Cloner, Onyx, MenuCalendarClock, Sidenote, iZoom, Meteorologist, Graphic Converter, Disctop Pro.

Hope you find this useful and that others will add on to this

Synergy is the best way to control itunes, bar none.

Pith Helmet blocks EVERY ad on he net, including banner ads. i paid the shareware for this yesterday.

USB Connect is like the "boo-bing!" sound in XP when you plug something in, but instaed flashes up like the volume level displays

Wire Tap Pro records on a completly digital level, all sound passing through the computer.

a nice one, but is optional is BackLight, which runs the opengl screensavers as the desktop background. MUCH, MUCH better than it's windows counterpart - the power of macOS :)

and thats all i use.

heh, I dont know what most of those are in the vote. though I have konfabulator and quicksilver already. I also think I got onyx, and the computer came with graphicsconverter. I used to have pithhelmet, but then I realized I can block almost everything with just a CSS.

WindowShade X
SpeedDownload 3
TopCalculette Pro (but hasn't been updated for Tiger yet)
FruitMenu
CandyBar
Pixadex

Enjoy looking them up - and welcome to Mac! (Having used Windows for 13 years before "switching", I know you're going to enjoy it!)

;)

Scottfab said:
What are the shareware, freeware, utilities, applescripts, or whatever else that people have come across over time that they just cant live without. For example, some might say cocktail, and others might say launchbar. A list like this would be useful for Mac newbies... such as myself.

Can't live without:
Sharepoints
Edit: MS Office

Makes things faster/easier:
Cocktail
Preferential Treatment
Font Finagler
Backup 2 (.Mac)
Pacifist
MacStumbler
WhatSize

Not really needed yet, but very good:
Little Snitch

Synergy and AdiumX is about it. I used to use Firefox too but then I discovered the wonders of Safari :)

Back