can't load application properly

gallent

Registered
Well, this is not the first time this happens.

I tried to load the Mac help, actually any Help application cannot be loaded. When I clicked onto help, I see the icon bouncing on the dock for couple times, then it disappears, which means the application cannot be opened. The same thing happened a week ago when I tried to open MS powerpoint from MS office x after installing "missing sync". Then I uninstalled "missing sync" and reinstall MS office x couple times and lucky somehow got it to work again. I still haven't reinstall missing sync yet, I worry the same problem will happen again.

Also for some reason, I tried to boot with my norton systemworks 2.0 CD by holding down the "c" key during startup, won't do it, it heard the CD Rom was spinning, but it will not start, I can only get the normal start up screen. Can somebody please help me!!! I've had my PowerBookG4 for about a month, and now having all these problems. I have already reinstalled the OS once. Don't really want to do it again. BTW, I'm using 10.2.3.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that your Help files are really just HTML, so you can open them in your browser if you can find them.

For part 2, the question is: Can you boot from another CD, like your OS install CD? If not, the problem is probably somewhere in your drive; if you can, then your particular computer may not be able to boot off the Systemworks CD. If NSW doesn't have a bootable OS X system, then you may not be able to boot if you can't boot into OS 9. Try booting into 9 to see if it works.

I experienced major problems with Mac Help too at one stage. All was fixed when I deleted the plist (preferences) files.

Delete: com.apple.help.plist (and I think com.apple.helpviewer.plist too, but aren't certain about the latter) which you'll find in ~Users/(your login account name)/Library/Preferences. I think the help files for your applications will somehow link to Mac Help next time you run each individual application. I would then do the prebindings thing.

And regarding the startup problem with that CD you mentioned, consider pressing the Power Management reset button on your Powerbook, and then maybe resetting the PRAM or doing a reset-nvram (enter), reset-all (enter) via open firmware. Zeal :)

Back