Can't log in due to wrong input language

terozen

Registered
Hey,

I can't log into my iMac. When I logged out, I had Japanese language input turned on, and now the password is being written with Japanese letters instead of roman letters. My password is obviously in roman letters.

Yes, I've tried turning it off and on again, and no, none of the shortcuts for changing input method work.

Please help me, this is the silliest technical problem I've ever had.

Best regards,
The Norwegian

Hey,

I can't log into my iMac. When I logged out, I had Japanese language input turned on, and now the password is being written with Japanese letters instead of roman letters. My password is obviously in roman letters.

Yes, I've tried turning it off and on again, and no, none of the shortcuts for changing input method work.

Please help me, this is the silliest technical problem I've ever had.

Best regards,
The Norwegian
maybe try here ;)

I'd do a PRAM reset first.

If that doesn't work boot to the OSX installer and reset your passord to be blank. If its anything but Lion I think you can reset to a blank password.

The problem isn't Japanese in essence, it's the Mac. I don't think anyone but Mac-related forums would have any idea of what to do.

I'd do a PRAM reset first.

If that doesn't work boot to the OSX installer and reset your passord to be blank. If its anything but Lion I think you can reset to a blank password.

I hadn't heard about the PRAM reset before, but I did try it out. I read that it would reset several configurations and settings, but it didn't touch the language input method, sadly. My problem still persists, but thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, and I don't have the Mac Installer CDs. I can't remember the specific feline animal name of my OS, but it's the 2nd to newest. I.e. not the one that was released not long ago.

Still need help, guys! <3

The first thing I saw on that last link was "insert you installation CD", but I managed to change my password in another way. I used this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1543?viewlocale=en_US

to change my password into a Japanese one, lol. I was able to log in, using the new Japanese password! Now I can finally do the configurations to be able to change language input method on login, which I couldn't do without logging in.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys :) Problem solved.

PS: If anyone uses that link to make changes through root, you will be writing commands with the US Engligh keyboard setup, but the password will be in the language you have at default. I.e. Japanese in my case.

Although this will solve the problem of getting you access to your computer again, what you do is create a new Home / user / default admin. The name of your computer is changed and every time you turn on your computer you have to log out of the "fake" new user and log back in to your old user. Basically a messy pain in the butt. There are other solutions and I wish I'd read more carefully and looked for other ideas before trying this. (Unfortunately I didn't really understand what I was doing and was I started there was no way to stop.)

Back