can't login, user account gone

arleycornell

Registered
Recently I restarted my Mac and when it came to the password prompt, my password did not work. I tried it several times, and it even gave me the password hint. I clicked "back", and the only user option is "Other". What should I do to restore my profile and login?

I have tried that, it did nothing... there is no user account. How should I restore my account? Is there a way to create a new user admin account from the OSX install disc? Would reinstalling the OS help or allow me to create a new user account?

I wonder what happened to the user account - it shouldn't just disappear.

But - yes, we can create a new account even without the install disc, or without reinstalling the OS X for it:

Start the Mac in single-user mode (command and s keys down while booting, until you see the prompt).

At the prompt, type fsck -yf and press the return key.
Type mount -uw / and press the return key. (note the space)
Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press return. (note again the exact locations of spaces etc)
Type reboot and hit enter.

It should after that reboot act as if you had just installed OS X for the first time - it will prompt you for information to set up an administrator level account.

Or alternatively this may work well for you http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/295356-uninitialize-mac-os-x.html

I have tried that, it did nothing... there is no user account. How should I restore my account? Is there a way to create a new user admin account from the OSX install disc? Would reinstalling the OS help or allow me to create a new user account?
Arley

I have experienced same problem twice in three months. It happened again today after a normal shutdown last evening. This time startup seemed normal with my user account sign in showing on screen but when I inputed my log in password it rejected several times. then did a forced shut down and next time up I saw only 'Other' as an option.

Last time I fixed by starting fresh with a new OS and reinstalling everything-what a pain. This time I will revert from a backup done three days ago to troublesome internal system.

I'd love to know what's going on here.

Back