Can't move or delete applications

ericg4

Registered
Hello all,
I am logged as root. Everything is fine. When i log in as my 'personnal account' (I was still able to administrate my computer, but now, I can't).
Each time I want to copy a new app, or remove one, finder complains and says that I can't do this, because only root can do this...
What should I do ? Reinstall mac os X ? Delete some "preferences files" ? Please note thant in the Users preference panel, my account is noted as admin. Don't know what has happened
Thanks

You can try deleting most of the preferences on your drive, though that may not be the solution for the problem. I've known quite a few people who have had this same problem, none of which have found a complete answer. Sorry. :(

Sounds like a permissions problem to me. Search the board for "permissions" and "applications" and I think you'll find some threads. One of which should be in the HowTo section.

this is a common problem - you just need to enable root. do a site search for 'enable root' and you should find plenty of threads telling you how to do it. It's not that hard - even i managed to do it.:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
this is a common problem - you just need to enable root. do a site search for 'enable root' and you should find plenty of threads telling you how to do it. It's not that hard - even i managed to do it.:D
But when ericg4 is logged in as root there's no problem. So root login is already enabled. It's when another account is logged the problems start.

I am logged as root. Everything is fine. When i log in as my 'personnal account' (I was still able to administrate my computer, but now, I can't).

then he had his own answer - there are things you can do in root that you can't do otherwise. not much more to it i think.

Hello all
thanks for your help. It was a rogit permission problem, solved when I read the apple note n° 106237.
Something strange anyway: How this problem has occured ? Have I done something wrong ?

Back