Can't open Accounts in System Preferences

LordCoven

Registered
... I'm not having a good time of it at the moment :(

I'm currently not able to open the Accounts in the System Preferences. In the Console I see this:

2005-09-10 09:07:53.387 System Preferences[1184] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil argument' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 35d6f0 and selector 'setCurrentPreference:'

Now, I've had a PostgreSQL installation add a user automatically. So one of my suspicions is that maybe it didn't add something that Accounts expects to be there, which would explain the nil. However, I don't have a deep enough understanding of everything relating to users on OS X and the Accounts prefPane to know what to look for.
I've tried simply deleting the postgres user in the NetInfo Manager, but that didn't seem to impress it much.

Does anyone know where the system keeps the information which users should appear in the Accounts preference? I haven't been able to find a list yet.

Any ideas / hints / tips much appreciated.

Cheers,
C

Well, at least that worked out quick :)

I was just going to post over on the Apple support Discussions, and happened to find a thread which looked promising:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@61.E9adaW7ZRNB.1@.68b71268

At first I thought it wasn't going to work, because I'd already seen the 'nil' user and deleted that one. And I'd already tried deleting the PostgreSQL user, hadn't I? BUT - I hadn't tried it with both of them deleted at the same time ;) Guess what - that worked! :D

Now I can create the PostgreSQL user properly and perhaps I'll drop a line to the developers of the wrapper for PostgreSQL I'm using advising them of the problem they are (probably inadvertently) causing :)

Cheers,
C

Back