Xoptimize
Grab

Do that with Wonblows!!!!!
:p

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 573
Well even with all that open, i was still searching around the finder for more apps to throw in, and it was definitely slower, but still faster than the pentium 1 I have in the back, and grab was the last thing I opened, it work without a hitch and wasn't slow at all.

Right now only 1... would I have to recreate experiment to see something different?

Swap allocation/removal is a pretty dynamic thing from what I've observed (I've seen up to five files on mine so far, with 512M RAM). So when it needs to, it'll create more, and when usage drops, it'll remove them, so the short answer would be yes, you'd have to have everything up again to see...

Hmmm totenkpf..... your anme reminds me of the totenkopfverbaende :p (or however u spell it.... history still fresh in my memory :p)

Does OS X create a new 80MB swap file when it needs more space or does it just expand the exisiting swapfile0 file?

-Rob

Rob,

Have you posted a screenshot yet? The reason I ask is that I was looking at the Tibook yesterday (just looking, I'll be lucky if I can afford an iBook any time soon) and was wondering where you keep the Dock. I keep mine on the right side, pinned at the top, mainly because most screens are wider than they are tall. In your case, your screen is MUCH wider than it is tall. Just curious how others are dealing with the space issues (I was asked about that at Mac users group meeting last week).

:)

Any screenshots I've put up (like the thread asking for windows desktops) have the Dock at the bottom.

Just today I thought I'd try putting it on the side because that seems to make good sense with such a wide screen.

Now my dock keeps disappearing because it magnifies right off teh screen, and popup menus toward the bottom of the dock don't show on the screen. It's gotta be a bug--or at least a feature that wasn't implemented fully--that a small menu shows a continuation arrow instead of just drawing further up the screen.

Has anyone figured out how to make the dock transparent and not have the outline drawn?

-Rob

The problem with menus is that it thinks the Dock is still on the bottom. If you resize the dock (making it very small and then back to normal size) the menus work the way they should (also any Dock-aware apps can start using the area at the bottom of the screen then also). I have a set of clear pdf's that can be used to replace the original ones that can with the Dock in OS X (I don't remember where I got them, so I'll just send you my copy).

Here is a shot of the menus going all the way to the botton of the screen. It still has the arrow, but I think the system wants to keep the menu next to the folder as much as possible.

Attachments

• macosx.jpg
    macosx.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 112
Originally posted by RacerX
Just curious how others are dealing with the space issues (I was asked about that at Mac users group meeting last week).

I have mine up the RHS too - I quite liked it at the bottom, cos it was quite similar to the control-strip/application menu tearoff arrangement I had (have) on my 1400cs, but spacewise it makes more sense to have it at the right. I pin it at the bottom tho, so the trash is always bottom right.

Ta for the tip about menus, BTW, that's been bugging me too. Might try the transparent Dock next...

I hadn't thought about pinning it at the bottom to match the old trash position, that is a cool idea also. It would be even better if we could pin it to both the top and bottom so that the Finder icon is where the old startup volume used to be and the trash was in it's old position as well.

Well I didn't count them but as you can see on the picture it's quite some and I could open still more.

Even dragthing could't follow anymore.
:( Only 1 frame with Itunes.

In the dock you can see how much mem it takes, well I've got still a little 500 megs of ram over for other apps;) .

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 54
Originally posted by RacerX
The problem with menus is that it thinks the Dock is still on the bottom. If you resize the dock (making it very small and then back to normal size) the menus work the way they should (also any Dock-aware apps can start using the area at the bottom of the screen then also).

Just discovered DockLock 1.0.1 fixes this as well! Rah!!

Back