Can't open up applications- How to reformat imac?

guava4

Registered
Dock's gone http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...ock-disappeared-cant-log-out.html#post1483848
and when I went through the application to get to the firefox through the system icon on the desktop this popped up "the operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occured (error code 0600)."
Dictionary however, operates as normal.
Itunes on the other hand, "you cannot open the application 'iTunes' beacuse it may be damaged or incomplete"- I've just installed the 9.0 version last night, but it says it has completed the installation and I chose to shut down as opposed to restart after (which is part of the option it offered).

May be there's a virus/bug on the imac? Would reformatting helps? If so, how do i do that?

(Different threads because although they might link with each other, it's a different issue individually).

Different threads do not link to other. Starting different threads is considered to be a violation of forum etiquette. You should ask to moderators to combine the threads you started on this topic that you started.

That said, you are asking about an extremely radical solution for an ill-defined problem. You do not have a virus. To get useful suggestions, you need to give some information about your system and what happened to it immediately before your "problem" appeared.

Hello

Its the mac tiger, and I'd say it happened quite suddenly :S though gradually.
For a couple of weeks the security update has been failing, due to an "error [that] has occurred". It would also take about 5 minutes after I logged in before I could operate anything on the machine. (the cursor would take on the waiting, busy, purple round form and refuse to do any tasks). Yesterday night I installed itunes 9.00 along with the Quicktime player from the update thing, and chose to shut down instead of restart (which is one of the options offered). And today when I turned it on 'the problem' happened.

Those are the things off my acknowledgment that may contribute on the problem, other than that I have no idea. (Like how the failing of the update started to happen)

And I'm not sure if these problem link to each other thus the different threads. However, I'd delete them anyway.
#edit: I have no idea how to delete them lol

Have you tried making a new User account, and see if you still have the problem? I assume you've started up from your Install disk and run Disk Utility, repaired the disk and permissions.

You can reapply any Security Update ... But may want to do an Archive and Reinstall, which can be chosen from the Installer by the Customize button. This will give you a fresh start.

oh cool, I just read an article of how to do disk utility, lol
I definitally gonna try this one first now thanks :)

Back