Can't reboot after Netboot Imaging...

sverbus

Registered
I've got my G5 OS X server up to Server V.10.4.7 and I'm building new 10.4.7 images for distribution to the call center floor via netboot. I've done it this way since 10.4.2, before that, I used ASR through command line.

My problem is this. When I create the image with System Image Utility, and I select the options like "erase target disk" and "reboot after install" that way the machine ends up at the login screen ready to be renamed.

Starting with 10.4.6, when using my latest images, the target machine will not reboot. It sits at the netboot screen after it's done with the "restart" button in blue, but if I click it, it just sits there as if I never clicked it at all.

If I QUIT the network installer, and choose the HDD out of the options, the HDD should be named Macintosh HD_1
(which as the name of the HDD when on the machine I created the image from)
but it's not, it's called SUI-Image and it's only as big as the image is, no bigger, but yet the machine has a 40gig drive in it.

When I choose that drive, restart, it gets to the splash screen that is pale white and has the apple in the middle and that's it.

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why it does this.

The only way to recover and start over, is to boot from cd, format/erase the hdd and go from there.

I don't have a clue why it's doing this. It does it on the few Emacs that I have and the mini's that are on the call center floor.

Please I hope someone has a few options for me to try.

Thanks much,

Scott Verbus

seen something similar with bombich NetRestore, turn only 1 NIC on on the server, make sure the image shows up from the network by choosing the starup disk on a machine, make sure NFS is running,enable DHCP service,
all I have for now..

you're not understanding what the problem is. I have no problem at all imaging a machine with my images that I make. It's all the issues after it's done.

Back