Can't run Gnome

chabig

Registered
I just installed Fink 0.5. This is my first time installing any open source software on my iBook.

I selected and installed the base software, Sawfish, and gimp using dselect. I can now run an Xwindow session and Gimp, but I don't get the Gnome desktop.

dselect does indicate that some gnome files are installed, but I guess I didn't install the right package. Which one is it that will get the basic gnome running for me?

Thanks,
Chris

Never mind. I discovered that I hadn't really installed all of the files. Today I installed the GNOME convenience package and it made sure I had the right packages. Now everything works.

Chris

I used Fink Commander to download bundle-gnome and added exec gnome-session to my xinitrc file and still can't start the GNOME desktop :\ any help?

All I can say is that my installation worked flawlessly after I downloaded and installed the Gnome-convenience package. Does that show up in Fink Commander?

Once you have the packages, all you have to do is add 'exec gnome-session' exactly as you have done.

Chris

Back