Can't see CD burned by windoze

cclear

Registered
ok, quite simply, I got a data cd that was burned by win98, and when I put it in ( iMac - OSX) -- It is not able to read it..
( checked it with a win2k machine, it sees the directories fine..)

I have basic unix skills, and i went to terminal just to check, and it can see the cd name in /Volumes -- but It still can't see the directories..
I know it is a file format issue, but I have no idea or experience with file types (I know that OSX is +HFS or something but I just don't know much about this stuff)

Is there ANY way for me to see what is on this CD, or is the file type just totally not visible from the mac.

:(

I don't remember the name of it but a few years ago I saw a windows CD format that I couldn't read on the Mac. I could read it with Virtual PC.

I can't see it with OS9 either..

I have Adaptec UDF Volume Access in the extensions folder, so I should have been able to read it in OS9 if it was UDF, right?....

anyone??

I have had samekinda problems. I was unable to use that CD. Damn.

You can see the CD if it has a directory to mac and directory to PC.
Sometimes some CDs can be wievev, but not all. I have no idea of this different UDF, HFS+ either.
But my friend has a windows 98 and i can see the discs he has burned. Don't know why. I Have also adaptecs UDF and ISO 9660 readers.

btw.
Do you have ISO 9660? Maybe it will help...

Well, according to what I have read, Mac OSX can read ISO 9660..
am I wrong?

I am running all over google trying to find my answers.. :)
Probably just not going to be able to read the stupid disc.. weird..

I was also wondering if there is any possible way to read windows cds on my mac. I burned about 10 cds on a windows computer because I needed to transfer the files to my mac. However, not a single one of them read. Is there not a program that will read them besides virtual pc? my mac dosent have enough ram at the moment to run it. thanks

Could it be a hardware problem? As in, the actual Apple CD-ROM drive not being able to read anything burnt by this particular. Burn an Audio CD to check this, and try to play it in iTunes.

well, i unhooked my cd burner from my mac, and hooked it into the pc to burn the cds. i would try burning an audio cd from it to check like you said, but its a lot of trouble to hook the cd burner back up to the pc and bring it back again. i thought macs could read windows cds?

Microsoft does indeed read ISO 9660. But that is not the default for Windows. Microsoft has a proprietary format called "Joliet" or something like that. It is not ISO 9660. I don't believe Macs read this disk format. I had the same problem a long time ago on Linux. I would burn a disk with Nero or some program and forget the default disk format would be Joliet. Unless I switched the setting on the Windows burner to burn in ISO 9660, the disk would be unreadable by Linux. You can thank Windows for their piece of #$@* propritary format that no one else uses but them. (Go figure.) So you will have to switch the settings to ISO 9660 and burn a new disk. If this does not work, then you have something else wrong with the software because OSX will read any disk burned in the ISO 9660 format.

Good Luck.:)
SA

:rolleyes:
Yea, there is some type of format that windows SOMETIMES uses, and this one cd I ran across OSX just doesn't read it..
I Haven't had any problems with any other cd's-DVD's that I have read.. ( but truth be told, very few window cd's.)

oh well, just gotta make sure if I have someone from windoze world burns me a cd, I gotta make sure it is in ISO 9660.

Try Joliet File System Extension for Mac OS 9 (not X). It comes with drivers for several filesystems such as, besides Joliet, ISO 9660 level 3 which Mac OS 9 AFAIK does not support. Make sure you install the control bar module too, and try activating and deactivating the several drivers through it (ejecting and inserting the CD again each time you change settings).

It is at http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

There is also Joke Ridge, also pre-X, which I have not tried at http://www.alex-castro.com/jokeridge/

Hey elmimmo, u ROCK!! you hit it right on the head.. :cool:

I put that file in extensions and booted up in 9, read the CD no problem..

very cool.. and I even learned a couple new things..

( for the record, this cd is the ONLY cd I have run across that OSX couldn't read.. )

Thanks again!!!!

:D :D

thank you so much. i installed joliet and the cd reads fine. i just have another question now that we got the cd problem out of the way. what is the best way to convert .avi files to something macs can read? i have a few different programs that work some of the time, but other files no matter what i use i cant convert them. any ideas?

I'm not too good at avi because I avoid it like the plague but I have heard that a large portion of people who rip or encode movies just label it .avi even though they have no clue what it actually is. The applications for Mac that convert avi do just that and if it's not actually avi then they won't be able to do it and I'm not sure what path you should take to find a program that works. It's a pretty messed up system right now. Also there is no standard for avi so some have different audio tracks and different codecs.

theed wrote:
I wish the programs that people used to burn CD's on Windoze were more like Toast.
You are wishing other's workstations where more like calculators. They are quite easier to use, but that does not imply it is such a wise choice, unless you simply want to multiply integers. Toast is a total crap, doesn't even duplicate multisession CDs. The Mac is in total need of a decent CD-R software that is also compatible with a broad ammount of CD recorders.

(Is that a flame-thrower I see on the horizon? ^_^ )

I've not seen anything I want to do that I haven't been able to burn with Toast. As for anything on the PC side that will burn a mac, iso, and joliet CD, I've never seen anything. To each his own.

Back