Can't Send E-mail to Multiple Receipients

SteveBurns

Registered
I recently installed Server 10.4 - There seems to be a limit on the number of addresses you can send an e-mail to. I have a list of several thousand addresses that I have been sending through "Post Office" with no problem. But I thought I would give the OS 10.4 mail server a try. Now when I send a message to the list it will send to a couple of hundred addresses and then give me an error message "Error 452 Too many recipients". Is there a way to remove this restriction from the SMTP server?

I have also been successful sending our newletter to this list using a demo version of Eudora E-Mail Server. I would prefer to use the Mac OS 10.4 server that I've already paid for rather than buying another e-mail server at $400.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveBurns said:
I have also been successful sending our newletter to this list using a demo version of Eudora E-Mail Server. I would prefer to use the Mac OS 10.4 server that I've already paid for rather than buying another e-mail server at $400.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Are you using the mailing lists for this ? Although i use them, i do not have lists with so may entries.

Splitting up the list is a possible method, even making a lists of lists.

Gooed luck, Kees

You should set it up so that you don't sent them all in one go. I am not sure if you get any feedback on the spam classification of your newsletter but having a long recipients list is usually a biggie (if you are using BCC ignore that). The other problem is that many email systems you will be sending to will throttle your connection to slow you down (because it sure looks like spam to them).

Bulk mailing really is a special case and it is most likely in your best interest to use a real bulk mailer, rather than the built in mail server which is really designed for "normal" traffic.

P.S. Keep in mind that I am assuming BULK mailing, the Mac mail server is more than happy and able to handle a good sized office's mail.

Back