Can't send mail after 10.2

dantjie

Super Cute Member
After installing Mac OS X v10.2 Mail.app can't seem to send mail out anymore. Nothing has changed from what I know. I'm attaching a picture of the error message. If any of you guys/gals can help it would be great.

For now I guess I'll have to live without being able to send mail. :(

Attachments

• error.gif
    error.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 66
i have the oppiset problum
it said refused to allow a conection on port 110????
i dont understand all of my internet info is corecet
i cant check my email
what am i doing wrong

Check your hostname first. (open terminal and type HOSTNAME .
If your hostname is like "yourcomupter.local." then you may have problems with Mail-Servers that are protected with spam-filters. (They refuse your computer at SMTP-Connect because MAIL want to login with your computername instead the ip number)
To fix that problem log in as root and modify the hostname by changing the file HOSTCONFIG located in the directory /etc.
On my computer I had the same problem and the mail-client works now.
I hope apple will fix that rendezvous bug soon with a 10.2.1!!!

Thanks, Orion. I did check my hostname in terminal and it does say "mycomputername.local."

What I don't understand is, what should I change in hostconfig? The hostname field was left automatic, but I changed it to my computer's name. After changing it, when I type hostname in terminal it still gives me the "mycomputername.local."

YAY! Thanks, that reboot helped. Thank you so much! Now I can once again communicate with the world through e-mail.

i can send mail from my new domain name but i can't send mail using my Mac account.

smpt.mac.com won't allow me to send mail through Mail in 10.2

Anyone have a clue why? I've restarted and checked my settings. They all look ok.

Twister

(edit) i just tried to send from my new domain account and it was denied too. I wonder if Mail and sleep don't go together or something because it worked yesterday

Originally posted by Orion
Check your hostname first. (open terminal and type HOSTNAME .
If your hostname is like "yourcomupter.local." then you may have problems with Mail-Servers that are protected with spam-filters. (They refuse your computer at SMTP-Connect because MAIL want to login with your computername instead the ip number)
To fix that problem log in as root and modify the hostname by changing the file HOSTCONFIG located in the directory /etc.
On my computer I had the same problem and the mail-client works now.
I hope apple will fix that rendezvous bug soon with a 10.2.1!!!

Help out a no-so-terminal smart person. I opened terminal and typed HOSTNAME and it said 'command not found'

If you don't mind. i'd need exact instructions.

Thanks
Twister

So this is what i did...

- Open the terminal
- type "sudo -s" (note the space after sudo)
- enter your password
- type "pico /etc/hostconfig" (note the space after pico)
- a few lines down you will see "HOSTNAME= -AUTOMATIC-"
- change the "AUTOMATIC" to "localhost" (lowercase, leave the - on either side)
- press ctrl x (to exit)
- press y to save
- hit return to confirm the file name
- restart

And it didn't work. Same SMTP issue. If i go into termainal and type in hostname i get localhost I even tried to change it to any other word and that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Twister
*found exact instructions at apple's support forums*

I just installed 10.2.1 today (from 10.1.5).

I'm having the same problem sending mail.

I've already changed my hostname to 'localhost' and rebooted, but it doesn't help.

The message I get is:

The SMTP server "mail.attbi.com" rejected the password for user "myuser"

Then it prompts me again (and again, etc.) for the password.

Any ideas? Please??

Thank you,

-tony

I don't have password protection on sending mail. Just getting mail. And i'm able to send a random amount of emails until, all of a sudden, it says mail.myhost.com won't work. I have to quit mail.app and restart. Then send the message again. And it works. Stupid thing.

Twister

That's exactly my problem. I can read mail, but can't send it, unless I turn off password protection. But is that something I really want to do?

This worked just fine in 10.1.5, it's only busted now in 10.2 (and 10.2.1).

If this is really being caused by Rendezvous messing with the hostname, isn't there anything I can do to disable it? I couldn't care less about Rendezvous.

-tony

UPDATE: Apple and Mail are pissing me off every day with this stupid "cant send mail" message. They only happen once in a while (3 or 4 times a day) but i cant find the pattern to find a solution. I just have to restart mail and then i can send again, for a little while.

Stupid thing....

Twister

Back