Can't share printer from 10.3 to XP

jverd

Registered
My Mac: Dual G4 450 MHz, 0S X 10.3
Darwin shinchan 7.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0: Thu Aug 5 19:26:16 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

I turned on Windows sharing and printer sharing in system preferences, but my XP Personal laptop doesn't see the printer, or even the Mac that's allegedly sharing it.

I tried to fiddle with CUPS, but couldn't login as root with root's password through the web interface.

I tried using the Directory Whatever application to put the Mac into the same workgroup as the XP box, but no joy. XP doesn't see it.

What else can I try? What secret spell do I need to know? What kind of animal do I have to sacrifice? I don't have pets, but I do have a couple of kids that get on my nerves occasionally.

Well what i do with my mac and old PC is that i have them both connected to the printer the mac by usb and the pc by the old printercable and like it works beutifually. I can print two things at the same time and they just like queue and completes the job one after the other works fine try doing that its simple and effective. .... i have a cannon i560 if that meens anything..........

Thanks for the responses. It turns out it was a major case of user stupidity. The Mac was connected to "the outside world" but not to my little home net. D'OH!

Anyway, XP can SEE the printer now, but still can't use it. Can't connect, authentication failed, something like that. Any tips on how to tell the PC how to log in and/or how to tell the Mac to LET the PC log in would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Go to System Preferences > Sharing and turn on the Windows and Printer Sharing options.

2. Make note of your computer's IP address while in there.

3. Find out what your printer's name is.
Go to this URL;
http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

4. Go to the WinXP box and go to Start > Printers and Faxes.

5. Click the Add Printer link and follow through the steps as follows.
a. Choose "A network printer, or printer attached to another computer."
b. Choose "Connect to a printer on the internet..."
c. Type in a full URL constructed similar to the following one (BOLD means type the exact letters, plain text means fill in the blanks):
http://your.ip.from.step.2:631/printers/your_printer_name_from_step_3
d. Go through other steps as required.

When selecting a driver for the printer on the XP machine, choose an Apple Laserwriter, not the driver for the printer.

bobw,

Thanks a ton for the detailed advice. As it turns out, it wasn't necessary.

Despite the fact that the XP box has a message telling me "can't connect" or something like that, printing actualy works just fine. The error message itself was bogus.

I'm going to hang on to those steps just in case though.

Thanks!

Jeff

First post here.
I too am trying to enabling printing from my Dell box running Win XP. THe mac I'm printing from is a Powerbook G4 running the very latest version of panther. I'm trying to print to an Epson CX 6600 connected via USB to my mac. Both computers are connected to a Linksys wireless router. Both are wirelessly connected. I'm a bit of a rookie as far as networking goes so I'm having a hard time. I've tried both the guide link above, which worked as far as "selecting the computer from Network Neighborhood". My mac doesn't seem to be listed anywhere! Windows sharing and printersharing are both enabled. The other mini guide by BOBW didn't work for me either. First of all I couldn't find my IP address anywhere (I ended up grabbing it from my network preferences). Then when I followed the steps the windows machine couldn't find the printer! I have no idea what went wrong. Both computers are definitely comminicating with the router. What do I do next?
Oh btw I'm on dial up internet on my mac only right now. A broadband connection is on the way. I can't imagine this has anything to do with the problem though does it?

Thanks!

mfacey,
You're right, modem shouldn't matter here.
Make sure you have Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing on in Sharing Prefs on the Mac.

Back