Can't Start Classic Mode From Tiger

spurlock

Registered
I have an older g4 tower 400MHz, with 12 mg free hardrive before tonight's installation and 512 mg ram. I just installed tiger tonite (after much soul searching) and when I try to start classic mode first I get a message saying I should upgrade to 9.2 instead of my 9.1 (and I say ok) then I get a message saying quick time needs to be upgraded (and I say ok), but then nothing else happens. I thought Tiger would install any upgrades I needed. The status bar doesn't move it just seems 'stuck' there, trying with no luck to open for over 10 minutes. If I tell it to quit, OS X comes back with no problem. Do you think if I downloaded 9.2 and quick-time upgrades it would help? But if so, where do I install them??
FYI, I use the computer a lot for applications etc and was decent w/OS 9 but very new w/os x and never was too good with the 'behind the scenes' technical stuff.
thanks for any help.
michelle

01. Download and install the System 9.2.1 (82+ MB) and System 9.2.2 (21+ MB) updates.
02. Via the 'Apple, Software Update' menu item - determine and record (write down the name, version number, and size of) the suggested updates to install; and then quit 'Software Update'.
03. Go to the Apple Downloads web page; and, locate and download each recorded update's installer.
04. Install the updates. Note. Install the 'QuickTime' update before any 'iTunes' update.
05. Back up the downloaded installers. You will need them, the next time you have to reinstall 'Tiger' and all its respective updates.

I'm sorry I'm such a techno idiot! But..I guess I didn't make myself clear. I downloaded the updates you suggested for 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 BUT as soon as I doubleclick to INSTALL, the computer immediately tries to open classic (9.1) again and freezes before it can install. Seems like a catch 22.

I had the same problem with my Dad's iMac. Insert either your "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" CD or the "Software Restore" disc. In OS X, open the disc, and double-click on "Install Extra Software". Click Customize where it asks you to tell it just to install Classic Support, and anything else you want, then follow the prompts.

The System 9.1 is what came with my computer. The Tiger software did not have any other updates for classic etc. and is only on ONE Cd. No restore, no nothing (for $129!!)
But, problem now seems to be solved. In case any other person would have this problem: It was suggested that I change my start up disk to the 9.1 and restart. That did work and once I was back into 9.1 I followed the advice you guys gave and upgraded to 9.2.1 and then to 9.2.2. Then I changed startup disk back to Tiger and restarted. I just now switched on Classic and it worked!! :)
Thanks for the support.

you haev to boot up into OS 9 to install the updates. Since the isntallers are classic apps, they will invariably launch Classic mode. Boot into OS 9 by going to System Prefs and then selecting Startup Disk. Click on the Mac OS 9 System Folder and restart.

Once in OS 9, install the updaters one after the other. Once it's up to 9.2.2, go to the Apple menu-->Control Panels-->Startup Disk and select the OS X System folder. Reboot and you're back in OS X.

Back