Can't test Tiger on my iBook Dual USB?

Norwich

Registered
I have a dual-USB iBook (DVD ROM) with a clean drive (used to be 9.2.2). I also have a new iMac 17" 2GHz that came with Tiger. I want to see if Tiger would run on the iBook, so I booted it off the iMac's Tiger installer. After the splash screen I had a message to the tune of "Can't install on this machine". I wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just Apple's way of making sure I only use the installer on just the iMac it came with.

-M

I believe that this is Apple's way of making sure it only gets installed on that machine. However if it was Tiger bought in a store (full version) it could be installed on any of the supported computers.

The Install DVD bought separately from Apple Store should run normally on your system (iBook).
You can't install 10.4 that came with iMac just as you can't install the applications that came with the iBook to your iMac from the iBook CDs.

Yes. The retail version of Tiger will install no problem. I have it installed on an iBook G3/500 (First iceBook released). Had to use a shoehorn to get it to fit since it still has OS 9.2.2 on it for dual booting needs, but Tiger went on without a hitch. The system install discs that come with each model are specific to that model and will not install on anything other than your original machine or one that is identical to it.

Back