Can't Tiger network w OS9?

tdemarco

Registered
When I try to connect from Tiger on my G4 to OS9 computers on the network, I get a "This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it." message. Does this mean that Tiger won't talk to OS9?

t.

Tiger talks to MacOS 9 just fine. The easiest thing to do is to enable AppleTalk. Then all will be right with your world.

Actually, there are major issues with Tiger's AppleTalk compatibility with OS 9. It drove me crazy for a while when I first upgraded. The solution is to NOT use AppleTalk, but instead connect over TCP/IP. You may need to specifically enable this in the File Sharing control panel in OS 9 (I forget exactly, but I can get more details if you need them).

It's also worth noting that you can mount Tiger volumes in OS 9 with no problem.

MisterMe said:
Tiger talks to MacOS 9 just fine. The easiest thing to do is to enable AppleTalk. Then all will be right with your world.

Actually it's when I enable AppleTalk that I get the AFP Protocol Error.

Mikuro said:
Actually, there are major issues with Tiger's AppleTalk compatibility with OS 9. It drove me crazy for a while when I first upgraded. The solution is to NOT use AppleTalk, but instead connect over TCP/IP. You may need to specifically enable this in the File Sharing control panel in OS 9 (I forget exactly, but I can get more details if you need them).

It's also worth noting that you can mount Tiger volumes in OS 9 with no problem.

When I turn off AppleTalk, I can't see the volumes at all. Will fool around with the OS9 volumes sharing parameters.

One of the volumes I'd like to reach is a Quantum SnapServer. It used to work fine, but now it too has an AFP error. And I can't reconfigure it. So it would still be nice to have access to these volumes more or less the way I did under 10.3. Any way to make that happen?

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: "Connection failed" error when connecting to an AFP server

Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) service is known by several names, including File Sharing, Personal File Sharing, AppleShare, and Apple File Service. Some AFP servers can only share over the AppleTalk protocol; they don't offer sharing over TCP/IP, which is now the preferred protocol. If you try to connect to an AppleTalk-only AFP server from a Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger computer, this message will appear:

"Connection failed. This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."
This happens because Tiger no longer supports connecting to AFP over the AppleTalk protocol.

As a solution, enable the TCP/IP protocol on the AFP server if it offers this option. If no TCP/IP option is available, connect to the Tiger computer from the computer that is the AppleTalk-only AFP server (instead of trying to connect from the Tiger computer to connect to the older computer). This method works because AppleShare client software on the older computer can connect to a Tiger computer over TCP/IP, even if it can't offer service over TCP/IP.

This may also affect third-party AFP server products. Be aware that some affected AFP servers have a TCP/IP option, but others don't.

Some AFP services that do not have a TCP/IP option include Personal File Sharing in Mac OS 8.6 and earlier, and the AppleShare server suite. Some AFP services that do have a TCP/IP option include Mac OS 9 File Sharing, and the AppleShare IP server suite.

I found a program that let my iMac with Tiger see and connect to the hard drive on my old computer with OS 9.1. Supposedly the program works to let OS X see computers all the way back to System 7.

The program is called Netpresenz, available at <http://www.stairways.com/main/netpresenz>.

You install NetPresenz on the computer with the older operating system. Go through the NetPresenz setup, and then activate the NetPresenz program itself. The results were nearly instantaneous on my computers--Tiger saw the older computer and its hard drive right away.

You still need to make sure that you have enabled the TCP/IP and Apple Talk independantly of the NetPresenz program.

Hmm....I always thought that NetPresenz was only for HTTP and FTP? I need to do some research on my Quadra 650 which runs it then. :D

Back