Can't update OS X

Highpwr

Registered
I haven't used my mac in quite a while but i'm back to using it again for work purposes. Anyway, the last time i used it i tried to update the os using the updater and i got errors during the update progress saying that it couldn't install the new version. Now that i am using my mac again i need to update the os and i am still having problems. Has anyone heard of this before? Do you know how to get around the problem? Here are my specs;

eMac 800 Mhz G4
Mac OS X 10.2 (6C115)
768 MB ram
Trying to update to 10.2.8 without success.

Yes. I just found out about "combo updates." They include all the updates from 10.0 up through the most recent one. I needed to update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.6 and didn't realise that I needed 10.4.3, .4, .5 before updating to 10.4.6. I kept getting the message that my hard drive couldn't accept the update. I finally figured out that I needed the previous updates. Guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake. So - I updated one step at a time.

Also, I'm one of the few (I guess) that have dial-up to the net and can't download for 6+ hours without losing the connection. The automatic update doesn't work for me. So - I downloaded the updates on a Windows computer that has broadband and saved the downloads to a CD. It only took a few minutes! Then I took the CD and downloaded the updates to my computer at home. I still didn't understand the "combo" concept so I did 4 updates. They all installed o.k.

But - when I went to open PageMaker 7.0, the icon just bounced around in the dock and the application didn't open. I tried to open it from an existing PageMaker file. More bouncing! Classic wasn't starting up either. Finally I looked for Classic in the the Finder "Help" and found it in the "Library" Preference Panes. I found that I could start it up from there and then somehow found out I also needed to rebuild the desktop. Once I got Classic started and rebuilt the desktop PageMaker opened! Whew! (I really don't understand what happens when the desktop is rebuilt!)

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this after updating?

I have an iBook G4 running 10.4.6 (now) with 256 mg of RAM (I know. I need more!) Any suggestions for cheap RAM? I printed out the directions for installing it from Apple Support so I think I can install it myself.

sonoraquest said:
I have an iBook G4 running 10.4.6 (now) with 256 mg of RAM (I know. I need more!) Any suggestions for cheap RAM? I printed out the directions for installing it from Apple Support so I think I can install it myself.

dealram.com

sonoraquest said:
Yes. I just found out about "combo updates." They include all the updates from 10.0 up through the most recent one. I needed to update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.6 and didn't realise that I needed 10.4.3, .4, .5 before updating to 10.4.6. I kept getting the message that my hard drive couldn't accept the update. I finally figured out that I needed the previous updates. Guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake. So - I updated one step at a time.

Also, I'm one of the few (I guess) that have dial-up to the net and can't download for 6+ hours without losing the connection. The automatic update doesn't work for me. So - I downloaded the updates on a Windows computer that has broadband and saved the downloads to a CD. It only took a few minutes! Then I took the CD and downloaded the updates to my computer at home. I still didn't understand the "combo" concept so I did 4 updates. They all installed o.k.

But - when I went to open PageMaker 7.0, the icon just bounced around in the dock and the application didn't open. I tried to open it from an existing PageMaker file. More bouncing! Classic wasn't starting up either. Finally I looked for Classic in the the Finder "Help" and found it in the "Library" Preference Panes. I found that I could start it up from there and then somehow found out I also needed to rebuild the desktop. Once I got Classic started and rebuilt the desktop PageMaker opened! Whew! (I really don't understand what happens when the desktop is rebuilt!)

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this after updating?

As for the Combo updater, it won't update you from 10.0 to 10.4.6. The Combo updater for 10.0 will update you from any 10.0.x version to 10.0.4 (don't remember exactly if that was the last one for 10.0). The Combo Updater for 10.1 will update you from any version of 10.1.x to 10.1.5. The Combo Updater for 10.2 will update you from any version of 10.2.x to 10.2.8. As you can see with the pattern, it's only specific to the "second-dot" revisions (10.x.X). If you want to upgrade "first-dot" revisions (10.X.x), you have to purchase that installation. In other words, if you wanted to upgrade from a version of OS X < 10.4.x to Tiger (the only version of Tiger available on disc currently is 10.4.3), then you would have to purchase the Tiger discs and then use the Combo Updater to go from 10.4.3 to 10.4.6. If you wanted to upgrade from a version of OS X < 10.3.x to Panther (10.3.9 being the latest version), you would need to purchase the Panther discs.

As for RAM, don't go cheap quality-wise. You'll get what you pay for. OS X is very picky about RAM timings so you want to stay away from no-name brand RAM modules. You also don't want to mix and match memory too much as their different timings will cause intermittent kernel panics. Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, and some of the PC enthusiast/gamer memory modules should work fine.

Back