Can't use Software Update . . .

moonwalker

Registered
Hi, I've got an iMac G5 and a homemade AMD machine connected through a Belkin router to a Direcway satellite modem. Most of the time this has been working pretty good, however there are a few glitches on my Mac that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I'm running Tiger 10.4.3 and since I got on the satellite service Software Update won't connect to the server, it says there is a network error and that I should try running Network Diagnostics. Network Diagnostics however says there is nothing wrong with my connection. My browsers and email work, but software update doesn't. Anyone know whats going on? And I did email Direcway about this but haven't got any response yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14
Found on Apple's forums:

Jonathan,

The -1011 error occurs with the Direcway modem when running Software Update, usually after a successful first time through.

We've discovered that the -1011 error occurs when running software update whenever a cache file is contained in user/yourname/Library/Caches/com.apple.softwareupdate/00/14.

If folder 14 is empty or doesn't exist (because you trash it), software update runs all the way through without a hitch. If a cache file is contained in folder 14, the -1011 error occurs the next time software update is run. 10.4 will eventually replace all cache files and folders in com.apple.softwareupdate, including folder 14, after you delete them so the -1011 error will eventually reoccur and the folder will need to be deleted again manually.

A workaround is to empty any cache file inside folder 14 and lock the folder - (highlight 14, get info, check locked). That way, no cache file can be written to that folder by the operating system and software update can be run continually from that point on without ever returning an -1011 error.

Obviously, there is a conflict between software update and the cache file the OS puts in 14. Hopefully that will be corrected in a future update. It's been reported to Apple. Good luck.

Randall

Since I didn't get any response after several days I thought this might come in handy for anyone else that starts using Direcway satellite service. So far its working.

Back