Can't write to internal HD Error 36

AlexAlexAlex

Registered
Hi,

I have a PPC G5 iMac 2.1GHz, 1.5GB.
The Internal Hard drive is 250GB in total and partitioned into 4 sections.
After working fine for ages I suddenly can't copy files into one of the partitions.
Initially I got an error message saying:

"DS_store could not be tead or written. (Error code 36)"

I used Disk Utility to clean up the hard drive. Which didn't help.

Got a copy of Disk Warrior(4.1) to try a more efferctive clean up. There were a few errors that found and fixed, but i still got the same error message.

Then found a utility called DS_Store Cleaner to try and force it to remake the DS_Store files. This got rd of the DS_Store message but I'm still left with another error 36 message and unable to properly copy.

Now the message says:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "example file.doc" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

I can copy files backwards and forwards no probelm with all the other combination of partitions. And I can copy files from the problematic partition to another one. It's purely getting things into that partition and it doesn't matter which partition they come from. I've also tried copying from a CD -- this gets the same message.

Is this this potential a problem with the partition? Or the finder? Or something else?

Is there something else I can do before having to re-format the partition?? (assuming that would fix the problem anyway?)

Thanks!

alex

How is that partition formatted? HFS+ or something else?
Is the "ignore ownership on volume" checked?
You used Disk Utility - I assume it found the disk and partition clean (no faults)?
If you copy with another program, e.g. save files form a browser to that partition, or copy stuff with Terminal, do you get any errors?

Back