Can't write to internal HD Error 36

AlexAlexAlex

Registered
Hi,

I have a PPC G5 iMac 2.1GHz, 1.5GB.
The Internal Hard drive is 250GB in total and partitioned into 4 sections.
After working fine for ages I suddenly found I can't copy files into one of the partitions.
Initially I got an error message saying:

"DS_store could not be tead or written. (Error code 36)"

I used Disk Utility to clean up the hard drive. Which didn't help.

Got a copy of Disk Warrior(4.1) to try a more effective clean up. There were a few errors that found and fixed, but i still got the same error message.

Then found a utility called DS_Store Cleaner to try and force it to remake the DS_Store files. This got rd of the DS_Store message but I'm still left with another error 36 message and still unable to properly copy.

The message then said:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "example file.doc" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

I have also got hold of a copy of techtool pro (4.6.1) and run everything - basic, intermediate and advance scans. Everything (aside from a few minor errors on other partitions - which it cleared up easily) was fine, that partition showed no errors at all. I didn't do the full tests on the system partition though as I haven't used the e-drive function yet.

The problem has been ongoing since late March.

Just today I found the same problem in another of my partitions:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "example file.doc" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

This happens when trying to copy to either of those partitions or trying to save anything to either of them.

What might be causing this and what should I do next???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alex

Just one extra thing -
with the first partition to have problems I am unable to copy/write any file size (eg KB size files)
with the most recent partition I found I could copy a 2.3MB Jpeg. The problem occured when I tried to copy a 680MB .mov file (there was enough space - about 1.8GB)

Back