Capacitor replacement (1.25Ghz eMac)

Nivalis

Registered
I'd like to ask a massive favour but i'm not even sure it's something i can ask, as it's time consuming so say the least..
Basically i have a 1.25ghz emac usb2.0, and the capacitors went kaput, a friend of mine had a go at fixing it with new capacitors but messed up many of the points where the capacitors fix to.. i would be eternally greatful if you or your repairs department could take a 1.25ghz emac logic board and locate alternate solder locations from the original points of the connected capacitors as shown here :
http://www.isarapix.org/pix58/1210892387.jpg
would basically be a task of finding a point on the board where an accessable solder point would be able to patch to the let of the capacitor so the connection functions correctly.

Thanks,

As far as I know, MacOSX.com is a forum for finding help with software and hardware issues, not necessarily for sending a Mac to have it repaired (especially something this extensive). Your best bet would be to send to an authorized Apple service center near you and see about getting the capacitors replaced. Not sure how much that's going to cost you.

You can also try to see if you can find another logic board on eBay. The last resort would be to take it into the Apple store and beg and plead with them about having it replaced through the repair program they had for the eMacs, but I doubt that many of them are still within the 3-year period of original purchase.

I would say it is time to upgrade to a newer computer. :D

That too, but when you've spent close to $2K on something like my iMac G5 and after only two years of ownership the thing starts to crap out because of the capacitors, you expect something to be done about it (it's already happened twice since December of last year). $2K is not something I can just blow on a whim, either. It's not like we're talking about a whitebox PC. Macs have always been known to last a long time, and unfortunately that's not the case anymore. Heck, I have a Quadra that's still working great after all these years....about the only thing that's failed on it is the hard drive from use. For many people, the G4 Macs still have a lot of life in them to just chuck away for a new computer, especially when one's own money is invested in it.

Back