Capture card for powermac G3

hi guys and girls (if there is some),
i was wondering if i could have your advice on a capture card for a Apple Powermac G3 400 cpu 512Mb ram 10.3.9 128mb gpu this is for cj mac osx ipod if you know him

he has wanted one for his xbox for ages i had one but it was worth £100 so does anybody know of a cheap one that will be compatible with a Powermac G3 400 cpu 512Mb ram 10.3.9 128mb gpu

Take a look at Dazzle products.. they are relatively inexpensive and do a nice job of audio/video in - firewire out.

SuperTyphoon said:
Can a G3 even handle capturing smoothly to make it worth finding a cheap card?

This used to be done in the Classic version of Mac OS at the time since that was what was current when those Macs came out, but with OS X it might be a bt of a struggle to say the least, and that's not even taking into consideration the latest software that might bog it down even more. Downgrading might be the solution here. It's not necessary to run the latest and greatest in software to do what you need to do. Some people still use some older Macs with older versions of Photoshop and other software because it does enough for what they want and they don't need to bloat of the newer versions, especially features that they might never use. Consider that there are still people using Amigas for video production (don't ask me where they are, but they are still around :p).

nixgeek said:
This used to be done in the Classic version of Mac OS at the time since that was what was current when those Macs came out, but with OS X it might be a bt of a struggle to say the least, and that's not even taking into consideration the latest software that might bog it down even more. Downgrading might be the solution here. It's not necessary to run the latest and greatest in software to do what you need to do. Some people still use some older Macs with older versions of Photoshop and other software because it does enough for what they want and they don't need to bloat of the newer versions, especially features that they might never use. Consider that there are still people using Amigas for video production (don't ask me where they are, but they are still around :p).

I sure wouldn't want to use Amiga for that! But i haven't used a g3 in many years, and the last time i used a 500mhz one it couldn't handle chessmaster smoothly, scroll down web pages smoothly or handle any web media (flash, shockwave, java, etc) without studdering and slowing down. Judging by this i wouldn't expect it to handle video capturing smoothly... however most of that work is left to, well, let's see... the capture card.

SuperTyphoon said:
I sure wouldn't want to use Amiga for that! But i haven't used a g3 in many years, and the last time i used a 500mhz one it couldn't handle chessmaster smoothly, scroll down web pages smoothly or handle any web media (flash, shockwave, java, etc) without studdering and slowing down. Judging by this i wouldn't expect it to handle video capturing smoothly... however most of that work is left to, well, let's see... the capture card.

Well, the Amiga series of computers were used for just that back before the Mac or even the PC had anything usable and had become commoditized as it is today. Lots of professional TV production studios used the Amiga for editing video.

As for that G3, if it was running OS X most definitely it would be sluggish. But considering the operating systems they were running when they were new, that was enough to make it a speed demon, especially when it came to software that was produced at that time. So on something like that I wouldn't use the latest and greatest software since it would be dog slow, but something that was able to run on that system when it was considered new would be enough to do the job (if you don't need the new features that back then weren't available but add to the intensiveness of the software).

Bottom line, if you plan on using anything that's out now with OS X on a system that old, expect some sluggishness even with all the memory maxxed out. You can only push so much out of those older machines even though they still do have their value.

SuperTyphoon said:
Yeah, newer OS's and software don't like or work well with old machines. A simple marketing technique to get people to buy new ones...

While true in one respect, the fact that people are creating faster and faster chips and computers allows people to do more things that couldn't be done with yesteryear's computers and chips. Consider how long it would take to render a lot of the stuff that you see today in 3D on computers from 10 years ago. Yes, 3D existed years ago, but most definitely NOT at the detail that we can get with today's computers, and today's computers most definitely won't be able to render or compute stuff speedily 10 years from now. So while the older computers aren't truly obsolete (since I believe that's a subjective term), there's no way they would be able to address the demands of hte future.

The only bad thing about the whoe process as you metioned is the marketing ploy and the planed obsolescence of some companies (including Apple, Microsoft, and other commercial companies). However, it is a necessary evil in the progress of technology.

try a USB 2.0 MPEG hardware encoder. That way most of the processing is done by the device and not the machine

Back