Carbon, Cocoa, Java

macboy73

I am having difficulty understanding the difference. I know that Carbon is something that is updated from Classic format to OS X, and Cocoa is OS X only. Java is supposed to run without recompile on all platforms with a Java Virtual Machine. (I.E. OS X, Mac OS Whatever, Windoze, Solaris) What I really need to know is what the .app suffix is intended for. the OS X developer tools that develop for Java compile a .app thing. I can\'t open it in OS 9, and I want to know if there is a way that this is possible. Is .app ever going to be added to a carbonized application, or is that just for Cocoa and (a mulitated, non-universal version of) Java?

Sorry, something I want to add is that I don\'t want to use Java Applets. I would like thi s to be an application that will run under Classic, Solaris, and {shudder} windoze.

Originally posted by macboy73
I am having difficulty understanding the difference. I know that Carbon is something that is updated from Classic format to OS X, and Cocoa is OS X only. Java is supposed to run without recompile on all platforms with a Java Virtual Machine. (I.E. OS X, Mac OS Whatever, Windoze, Solaris) What I really need to know is what the .app suffix is intended for. the OS X developer tools that develop for Java compile a .app thing. I can\\\'t open it in OS 9, and I want to know if there is a way that this is possible. Is .app ever going to be added to a carbonized application, or is that just for Cocoa and (a mulitated, non-universal version of) Java?

Carbon is a library which has an API similar to \"Classic\" which is awesome because my PowerPlant code canbe recompiled for OS X.

As for Java there are three Java APIs available on OS X. One is Cocoa (which you can also use ObjC with), one is the Applet class, and another is Swing.

The .app extension tells the system that a directory is to be treated as a bundle so graphically the bundle looks like a file. You can get rid of the .app extension if you set the bundle flag if you wish.

The .app extension is for *ANY* executable you want to place in a bundle. It doesn\'t matter if it\'s Cocoa, Carbon, Java, or a hybrid. It just tells the OS to look for a property list in the directory which will tell it to treat the directory as a bundle. It\'s merely a way to bundle an executable with other crap like icons.

Originally posted by macboy73
Sorry, something I want to add is that I don\\\'t want to use Java Applets. I would like thi s to be an application that will run under Classic, Solaris, and {shudder} windoze.

You can\'t have the same executable run on all those platforms. Even Sun doesn\'t distribute it\'s Java application \"HotJava\" as a general executable. Instead they release one for Solparis (sic), Linux x86, windoze, etc.

Back