Carbon Copy for Intel Mac

slevytam

Registered
Hello,

I recently purchased a 160 GB hard drive for my macbook. I would like to do a carbon copy of my 60gb drive onto the 160 GB drive and then swap the two.

I have already hooked up the 160GB drive as an external drive through USB. It detects fine.

Problem is that I heard Carbon Copy Cloner does not support intel based macs properly and people have had huge problems with this.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this ????

Thanks,

slevytam

It should work - it'll just be under Rosetta. See this:
CCC 2.3 is not yet available as a Universal binary, however it does run via Rosetta on the new Intel Macs. A word of caution: Apple currently does not support booting an Intel Mac from an OS installation that came from a PowerPC Mac, and vice versa. Until Apple provides a Universal OS that is capable of booting both architectures, do not clone a PowerPC Mac to an Intel Mac or vice versa. User files, of course, can be copied between the two machines. If you get a new Intel Macintosh, consider using the Migration Assistant to transfer your data to the new machine."]CCC 2.3 is not yet available as a Universal binary, however it does run via Rosetta on the new Intel Macs. A word of caution: Apple currently does not support booting an Intel Mac from an OS installation that came from a PowerPC Mac, and vice versa. Until Apple provides a Universal OS that is capable of booting both architectures, do not clone a PowerPC Mac to an Intel Mac or vice versa. User files, of course, can be copied between the two machines. If you get a new Intel Macintosh, consider using the Migration Assistant to transfer your data to the new machine.

from http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

I've just done this exact thing. Works fine. Make sure you make the 160 GB drive a GUID partition table in Disk Utility - otherwise you won't be able to boot from it. Disk Utility -> Choose the right drive -> Partitioning -> Options.

Hi,

I actually have noticed a problem since my carbon copy.

Its happened a few times that when the system goes to sleep it doesn't wake. Screen is black. Keyboard inactive.

I have to turn off the computer by holding the power button and then reboot.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

slevytam

Back