Cars, Trucks and Minivans... oh my!

At least go to a auto parts store and buy some touchup paint. Most places have a DupliColor rack that you can match the paint with (Guide book or by 3 digit code from car). Anywhere from $3 to $6 for a small tube with a applicator (kinda like nail polish).

If the scratch(s) are are small enough, this may hide them and also keep nasty unwanted things from happening. They'll have to sand the door anyways when they repaint it, so you don't have to worry about that. Heck, you might be happy with the touchup and not even want to pour the money out for a true fix. Just follow the directions and it should turn out ok.

Believe me, the scratch is anything but minor. I'll show you a picture tomorrow.

Arden,
either way you might want to put something on that. Think of bacteria on a cut - if left untreated it'll get worse.

I currently work for a german specialty company (http://www.chemetall.com) that makes metal pretreatments for the automobile industry. All of General Motors products, Mercedes Benz, and BMW use our zinc/manganese phosphates for corrosion protection, hence this is why GM, MB, and BMW cars have the longest lasting unibodies in the industry. Japanese automakers don't use our products which is why they ROT horribly after 8 to 10 years. See any 8 to 10 year old Lexus's/Acuras on the road today that are in GOOD shape? I didn't think so.

If you scratch/chip the paint from your car, obviously you can't purchase these chemicals at your local auto parts store, but if you can get some phosphoric acid (H3PO4, 75% in water), dilute to 10% to 20% weight/weight with water. Clean the surface wth isopropyl alcohol to remove and grease/oils and waxes from the immediate area. Take a cotton swab and lightly apply the phosphoric acid solution to the metal, wait 30 seconds, wipe dry, repeat until any/all rust is removed. The acid will remove any rust that may have recently formed AND protect the metal with a thin phosphate coating. Then you can use primer (if necessary) and use touch up paint and touch up clear coat.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU SEE EXPOSED METAL! If you just chipped the paint to the primer, use touch up paint.

I'll try that if we get any metal peeking through the paint on any of our cars, especially the Camry. The top is really losing paint, so if we get there I'll try your technique.

I've attached a picture of the scratch on the side of my car so you all can see what the dillio is.

Attachments

• scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, really.

I took the car in for the hole this morning, and in the end it turned out to be the resonator that had a hole, which I had replaced for about fitty bones.

So now I just have to go to the junkyard and find an '83-86 Camry to trade tail lights.

Attachments

• resonator.jpg
    resonator.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3
Ugh...Arden, you're right...that's not a "minor scratch".

While at the junkyard, look for a replacement door. You have 2 options, fix the current or replace. To fix the current you'd need a new skin, or alot of bondo (which is a no-no). You might be lucky enough to find the same color door somewhere, which just means simple replacement. Even if it isn't the same color, having another door flashed then painted and installed should still be cheaper than skinning the old one and painting it (have to remove it to do it).

Quite honestly though, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Do you really want to spend that much on a car that old? Maybe fix any exposed metal, but other-wise leave it be. It's cosmetic.

Originally posted by mdnky
Quite honestly though, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Do you really want to spend that much on a car that old? Maybe fix any exposed metal, but other-wise leave it be. It's cosmetic.
That's what we were going to do. If this were a brand-new Acura Integra or something, I'd definitely have it fixed, but as it is, it's an old car with a bit of cosmetic damage that's not really worth worrying about.

General rule of thumb, if the damage is more than 50% of the vehicle's value, don't mess with it. Alot of people will say more, and alot less. Example: In KY if the damage is or exceeds more than 75% of the NADA Retail value of the vehicle is legally totalled. In other words, you wreck and the insurance company goes to workup the claim...if the repair is more, they must by law total the vehicle. Generally though, most do it for far less. It's cheaper in terms of tax write-offs for the carrier, less time for the carriers employees (wages), salvage sale of the vehicle, etc.

Well, my Camry is far from totalled. It may have a few problems, but it still runs almost like new... one thing that bugs me is the air hose. It has a big hole in it, which would cost like an arm and a leg to fix, so my dad simply wrapped it up in black electrical tape. Well, this sometimes causes the car to shake, rattle and roll in 1st gear if I don't give it enough gas, which is rather annoying.

Get some good duct tape at least. Electrical tape isn't strong enough for that!

As far as totalled, in actuality may be. Though it is still usable, the repair cost makes it that way. Like I said, just drive her. In fact, drive her till the wheels fall off. It sucks haveing a car payment and having to keep full coverage, I have since 2 weeks after my 18th b-day. For the past 15 months, payments and ins on 2 cars...just like my checks say: Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Back