Case sensitive file system in Panther?

vikingshelmut

100% Bull Plop
I remember seeing something about Apple adding case sensitivity to the file system in Panther, but it appears to be gone? I remember seeing the option listed when formatting a drive using Disk Utility on earlier builds, but I can't find in in the current 85 build.
I tried creating two files using "touch" in the terminal, one capital and one not, but only the first file created is listed.
Has this been removed, or am I doing something incorrect?

BTW when i installed 85, I reformatted my partition, and there was no option for adding case sensitivity.

Yep, that feature left the ship through the 7B2x and 7B3x builds iirc. I _think_ it has to do with better UFS support being the easier task for the team. Guess we'll see an updated HFS+ file system by 10.4 (remember: HFS+ was introduced at 8.1, not 8.0, and Journaling was added to HFS+ at 10.2.x, not 10.2.0), i.e.: When it's finished.
Until then, you still have the choice between HFS+ and UFS, although I still wouldn't recommend UFS for Mac OS X. (It just doesn't feel and sound right.) ;-)

UFS, the UNIX File System, is case-sensitive, but it does not allow you to do a number of things that HFS+ does, so unless you have a specific purpose for it, you should avoid UFS like Windows.

Back