CD and DVD burning

The Madhatter

Registered
I have a quicksilver G4 w/ a Superdrive and I am having problems burning anything from my drive. I was trying to burn a DVD-RW disc from OS 9, but it gave me some weird updating disc window when I tried to initialize it. So then I tried a regular CD-R that should mount on the desktop after it's initialized, but it did the same weird thing.

I have Toast Titanium, which can't burn the DVD-RW, but can do regular CD-R's and CD-RW's. When I was getting Toast to work I deleted Disc Burner, which is the reason I think the initialization didn't work. So I wanted to reinstall Disc Burner, and I went to the Apple website, downloaded version 1.0.1, but when I tried to install it it says I need OS version 9.1, but my computer came with 9.2, so I don't know what to do.

I want to be able to use Finder burning like I could before I deleted Disc Burner, because I bet I can use my DVD-RW that way. How can I get Disc Burner and it's extensions back on? Anyone have any ideas, or had experience with burning DVD-RW's? I have heard you can in OS X, but I need to do it in 9, so I can reinstall X.

Thanks for your help.

After expending a little bit of effort, I got Disc Burner to install from my System Software CD by doing a custom installation. Then after restarting, my CD-R's mounted like they should on the desktop. But the DVD-RW and DVD-R were not able to mount on the HD like the CD-R.

Then I found I was using Toast 5.0.1, and there was a 5.0.2 update out, so I downloaded it, and after restarting, Snap. I opened up Toast and put in the DVD-RW and did Disc Info, and perfect, it says, DVD-RW without any error messages like before (It was giving me some "illegal sense key error" or something). Then I put in the Apple DVD-R and it recognized that perfectly. So I burned the DVD-RW without any problems, except it makes it a UDF volume, not a MacOS Extended. I am very happy now. I can't wait to get OS X back up and working after I screwed it up from my Terminal adventures. I hear that DVD-RW's mount on the desktop. Awesome.

BTW, I was using a Memorex DVD-RW and it seemed to work wonderfully. If anyone has any questions about this stuff, just ask me.

Back