CD burner won't work

starkraven

Registered
iMac reads CDs but won't burn. I get an Error 3 message when computer is verifying the burn, spitting out the CD.

Tried Copy to Disk. Almost the same thing. I get the Icon.dmg when I drag contents, but when I attempt to burn I get the message. Burn engine error with the numbers, -2147352477.

Is it software or mechanical? Should I repair or purchase a standalone CD burner.

Tks
Randall

Please provide the exact system and operating system version you have. Your description is stil a bit vague for us to give you detailed information.

What exactly is it that you're trying to copy? I've never heard of anything called "icon.dmg" unless it's something you created or something you downloaded.

I'm working with OS 10.2.8.

I tried burning CD, then used Disk Copy. Maybe Disk Copy is really for Disk Copying, but my HELP suggested using it to burn a CD.

It suggested first making a Disk Copy, then burning it to CD. I had never heard of it either.

I had a dozen or so pics in iPhoto which I sent to Disk Copy. Disk Copy created an untitled Icon.dmg on my desktop which I then attempted to burn when I got the "burn engine failure" message. The failure ocurred in burning the disk copy. I couldn't get to the CD.

As for the recommendation to use a slower speed, I only have Maximum as an option. All the others 1X,2X,8X, etc. are shaded and not available.

I believe that iPhoto has the option to burn directly to the CD. That or you would have to export the pictrues somehow (haven't played all that much with iPhoto but it should have an option to make this process easy).

When you insert the blank disc into the Mac, does it prompt you what you want to do with the disc? If so, select the option to load it into the Finder desktop. You'll then see the icon for a blank disc. Just drag and drop the files in there and when you finish dropping files into the disc icon, open up the blank disc icon so that you can view the contents. You should then be able to just burn the disc right from the Finder. I know this is the procedure for Tiger but it's been a while for me with Panther.

Also, are you sure that this Mac can actually burn discs? Check in System Profiler for details. You can get there from the Apple menu by selecting "About this Mac" and then once that window pops up, click on "More info..." That should bring up the System Profiler.

Haven't tried to burn disk directly from iPhoto.

Yes, I burned disks when I first got this iMac with OS 10.1. When I decided to upgrade to 10.2.8 I realized that I could not burn backup CDs. I got an external hard drive and upgraded to 10.2.8 but found I still could not burn CDs. Perhaps this is an indication that the problem is mechanical and not software.

OS 10.2.8 automatically formats a CD when inserted. You don't get the options you had on 10.1.

When inserted I get the formatted CD icon and am able to drag jpegs to that disk. The jpegs are readable, but I cannot eject the disk without burning it and that's where the problem arises. It seems the disks burns properly, but it will not VERIFY the burn. It's in the VERIFICATION process that the disk suddenly ejects with the ERROR MESSAGE.

Back