CD burning in OSX is PATHETIC

I finally got a chance to try that at work again. It's working again...

Thinking back, I think that I tried to use the finder under 10.2 before I knew about the problem with 10.2 and burning windows CD. After this I tried a variety of other ways to burn the CD via the Disk Copy Utility. I had all sorts of problems. After I upgraded to 10.2.1 I kept trying to use Disk Copy because that's what i was doing all along...

as an aside, I am also trying to burn UFS CDs for Solaris.

I guess we all get smacked by the stupidity paddle from time to time. =>

Originally posted by Javintosh

I guess we all get smacked by the stupidity paddle from time to time. =>

LOL
Hey, it happens to the best of us! :)

ESPECIALLY when using multiple OSs - and even more so when using the same keyboard (Apple Pro) on different systems/OSs after being used to PC keyboards! hehe :D

I'm glad it worked for you afterall! :)

i know what u mean when u say there is the 'burn' icon at the top right hand corner. but aren't all ibooks supposed to have that icon? mine has only the import sign but not the burn icon. when i put a blank cd into the computer it asks if i want to format it for burning. but when i click on the audio cd category it doesn't work.
can it be that my ibook doesn't have cd burning software? tot all ibooks are supposed to have it. and mine runs on mac os x.
pls help. any suggestions? thx

that icon only says import when you have an audio CD in the drive...

select a playlist from the left side. the icon should now say Burn. if you hit it, iTunes should prompt you to put a CD into the computer.

Yeh. The button will say Browse if you're in the library, Import if you have an Audio CD in the drive, Burn when you're in a playlist, and Options when you have the Visualizations running.

Are you trying to copy a CD directly? If so, you can't do that with iTunes. What you have to do is import all the tracks to a playlist (make a new playlist with the + button, and then select all the tracks on the CD and drag them to the playlist), and then once that's done, take the Audio CD out of th edrive, and click the playlist you want to burn, and press the Burn button. It will ask you to put in a CDR, so do so when it tells you to.

I am also having problems burning CD's for windows. I am using the Jaguar edition of Mac OS X. When I try to burn a cd with a hiearchy of folders it cannot be read by either WIN NT or XP computers. When I burn to the root directory I have no problems.

I am very new to Mac computers and generally much happier than I have ever been with PC's. Maybe I am just doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure it out.

That is exactly my problem. I assumed it was because I was using a third-party burner that had been bought when OS X was not yet released. The hierarchy of folders works fine in Mac OS, just not in Windows. Perhaps it is simply a fact of life - that Windows refuses to read folder hierarchies that do not originate in Windows?

Javintosh, I feel your pain! In the Windows dominated world, I think it is absolutely critical that Apple make this and any other type of file sharing task or activity with PCs completely brainless from the Mac side - zero effort!

Although some users may be interested in the geeky details, the average user should not have to be concerned - all of this should be completely transparent to the user. Is that easy to do? Probably not, but that's why they pay the Apple people the big bucks.

So whether one is burnng a disk like you, sending a .mov file with Mail or sharing files with a PC on a local network, Apple has to clean up its act on making Macs and Windows machines love each other if they really want more people to "switch." MS certainly isn't going to do it for them.

At least this got cleaned up with 10.2.1 (but unfortunately not before I sent out 31 CDs to people that mostly use windows... :mad: ).

CDs burned in the finder will work seamlessly on windows.

Originally posted by Javintosh
At least this got cleaned up with 10.2.1 (but unfortunately not before I sent out 31 CDs to people that mostly use windows... :mad: ).

CDs burned in the finder will work seamlessly on windows.

I burn all of my cds in the finder. Unfortunately, given my setup, which is not an apple built in burner, cds burned in the finder do not work seamlessly on windows. Perhaps it has to do with the third-party burner I have. The reason so far, is unclear to me. I'm no techie. However, the problem did not go away for me as it did for others. I burn my cds with no folder hierarchy when I know it is going to a windows person.

Maybe this is unnecessary (and if so, soryboutthat). . .

To Gstump and Maximus,

To clarify for people asking why Windows machines can't read cdr's burned in OSX 10.2.0, it is a known bug that the initial release of 10.2 does NOT burn cds correctly. They don't work correctly on Windows machines.

Upgrade to OS X 10.2.2.

Originally posted by sixthring
Worked flawlessly on my 10.2.1 with all recent updates box. CD worked with Winblows 98, 2000, XP. We don't run any NT machines here. It may be an obvious thing, but it is often overlooked by mac users, be sure all files have the proper extentions.
If that is true then the CD's must be burned using something other than the Apple HFS+ (hierarchical file system)... Can someone do a Get Info on a burned disc and tell us what non-HFS+ File System it is using?

I'm thining it is one of those ISO hybrid disc's that is readable by multiple OS's.

... but if that's true the Finder does not make this at all clear. The disc image it makes before burning is clearly HFS+, so I can't imagine how the finder could be turning this into an ISO disc when burning.

Please help me connect the technical dots here! (Toast is great because it maket this stuff very clear. The Finder should also make this clear before you burn, not after.)

RE Audio CD's...

I few folks mentioned Audio CD's, but those are burned in the special "Red Book" CD Audio format. they do not use either the Mac HFS/HFS+ or Windows Fat/NTFS file systems. Red Book is basically it's own file system and thus auto-magically readable across multiple platforms.

The question is what format are data discs burned in. If it is HFS then it should not be readable on WinDoze...

I don't think that's the case, because in Toast Titanium there are options for making Mac discs, ISO discs and custom hybrid discs. Plus, in the basic "Data" option, you can select whether this is Mac-only or hybrid.

Jav: You should check your system's statistics again. I don't think Apple ever made any computers that ran at 677 Mhz; perhaps you mean 766? Or did you overclock it?

Belwinds: I like the BNW reference.

In general, if anyone wants to burn a disc destined for the Dark Side, it has to be in ISO 9660 format.

Originally posted by hazmat
Javintosh: I've never had a problem with Windows reading a CD made in the Finder.

I also have never had a problem burning CDs from the finder

My son burns disks on my Mac (with the Finder) and uses these on his PC without any problem.

Originally posted by chevy
My son burns disks on my Mac (with the Finder) and uses these on his PC without any problem.

Here is hoping that your son uses a Mac, too! :D

No, he bought a PC to play games...

When working for school, he's back on the mac.

Back