Cd-Burning on MacOS 10.1

Carlo

All your base are belong
I have just installed 10.1 ;) and found that it picked up both my SCSI drive (Adaptec 2906) and my Cd-Burner (Matshita CD-R CW-7502) however neither Toast or iTunes will find the burner.

It worked fine with Toast in the old days of os9 but has yet to do anything under X.

I was curious if anyone had ideas about this, I really dont want to have to buy a new burner just so I can burn cd's on my mac.

In the Roxio Toast Preview 2 Readme

"SCSI CD recorders are currently not supported by Apple’s kernel level CD-R component. Hence Toast does not recognize SCSI devices."

Does 10.1 Suport this Kernel Level CD-R Component?

Simple case
I needed to burn a data CD
I have a Sony Firewire 12x write external recorder. One with Finder, One with Toast Titanium 5.1P2 (for OS 10.1)

Finder
--------------------------------------------------
1. Insert Disc
2. OS 10.1 identifies a disc and you can "ignore it" or "prepare it" (Ignore it to use 3rd party burning software).
3. Click Prepare it to use Finder Burning
4. Drag stuff into the CD-R. It has TO COPY FILES INTO THE CD-ROM. That sucks.
5. Hit the Burn button. It must buffer, verify, burn. This takes a LONG TIME for some reason! Not 12x at all!!
6. I get an error message saying the CD could not eject since something is in use. I hit OK. The CD icon changes to a regular CD icon. It is burned. But that error message sucks.
7. I eject CD, put it into a PC, several files are corrupted. I have a new coaster.

Toast Titanium 5.1P2 (for OS 10.1)
----------------------------------------------------
1. Insert Disc
2. OS 10.1 identifies it, but just hit "ignore" to use Toast.
3. You must click "continue" as well, for some reason. (Finder dialogue)
4. Select "Data CD" in Toast. Drag Stuff into the toast window. No copying of ANYTHING needed. It just lists what you will be burning! Instant!
5. Click Record. You get to specify write speed, and write session, or write disc. (More options.) I selected 12x.
6. It burns FAST! This is 12x. It verifies faster, too!
7. CD ejects with no error message.
8. CD works flawlessly on the PC

So there is no comparison. Forget Finder burning. Just use Toast Titanium 5.1P2

-solrac-

I cant even burn CDs in OS X :p
orange micro has not yet released SCSI drivers for their SCSI card :p

that Apple may not ever support scsi cd burning. They did say that iTunes and DiskBurner would never support scsi because it was old technology. I'm wondering if they have that same attitude towards OSX?

I have an Ezquest 6x firewire burner (RW7060A mechanism).

Apple System Profiler recognizes it as a supported drive. However, the finder doesn't like it and iTunes doesn't like it. Disk Copy 10.1, on the other hand, can use it to burn images.

Originally posted by caul
that Apple may not ever support scsi cd burning. They did say that iTunes and DiskBurner would never support scsi because it was old technology. I'm wondering if they have that same attitude towards OSX?

I wonder if there is anyway to find out. If my Scsi drive is now no good to me then i will have to get a Firewire one, a investment i didnt want to make.

Anyone wanna buy my 1 year old 8x SCSI Cd burner??? :(

I dont want to give up on my investments either...
Granted that I bought my ZIP drive 6(or 5) years ago and my CD-RW 2 years ago.

IF worse comes to worst, I might just buy a SCSI to Firewire adaptor ;) (but then I will have no use for my $120 investement which I bought 2 years ago, my SCSI card :p)

I will wait till X-mas. Orange micro said that they are working on a SCSI card driver which should be out on or before Xmas.

Hmm... not sure how my situation fits in with all this but here goes:

Is it worth purchasing a PCI-based SCSI adapter card to utilize an existing Yamaha 4260? I use Jam 2.6 a lot to convert bootleg MP3s back to audio CD to eliminate gap between tracks. I don't mind (now, at least) dropping back into 9.2.1 to use Jam but I'd prefer to stay in 10.1 if possible.

I noticed under 10.1, iTunes also offers the same ability (zero gap) but under 10.1, I've been reading that there are some problems with SCSI support.

Has anyone tried the zero gap option and does it seem to work okay?

Would it be better to just purchase a Firewire CD-R and avoid SCSI voodoo hassles?

Cheers.

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone had any luck burning the Developer tools? I know I can burn using my CD-RW, because I've done it before. The problem here doesn't seem to be burning the data; I never even get that far. I get a -50 error just copying the files from the Disk image to the CD prior to burning.

I've tried this with at least two downloads of the Developer Tools. Does anyone have any ideas why this is a problem? Since the Tools are free, I can't imagine they're copy-protected...

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I dont want to give up on my investments either...
Granted that I bought my ZIP drive 6(or 5) years ago and my CD-RW 2 years ago.

IF worse comes to worst, I might just buy a SCSI to Firewire adaptor ;) (but then I will have no use for my $120 investement which I bought 2 years ago, my SCSI card :p)

I will wait till X-mas. Orange micro said that they are working on a SCSI card driver which should be out on or before Xmas.

So your Zip Drive does not work in osx 10.1.. Its a shame that they didnt support scsi, considering they used to be 100% scsi.

Back