CD Burning

prjoni99

Registered
Hi Everyone:

I have a 900 Mhz iBook with a 24x CD Burner, I also have an AMD 1.3 Ghz with a 24x CD Burner as well.

My question is Why when I burn CD's in my Mac takes almost three times more what it takes to burn on the XP machine the same disc image?

There is any logical explanation to this?

I appreciate all your help.
Jonathan

maybe you are using bad media for your apple.
What programm are you using for burning the cd? Maybe that programm is adding a comparisson at the end of the burning?!
give us some more details and we'll figure out how a peecee can be faster than your ibook

Describe more the OSes, the apps, the CD-Recorders, etc. Give us more details on this matter... Also, I hope that you aren't comparing the burning speed while in battery use for the iBook ;)

Welcome! :)

Thanks all for your quick reply :)
Well I use Roxio Toast 6.0 on the Mac with the Burner that came with the iBook. And in the PC i Use Ahead Nero. With a 24x Burner. I'm not running on batteries i always use the AC Adapter.
Sometimes I use Disc Copy for CD Images and that is SLOW! It takes like 10-15 minutes to burn a CD compared to 4-5 minutes on my WINTEL.

Also Zammy-Sam what do u mean with a comparisson made at the end of the burning?

Some software will automatically check the disc you just burn to make sure it doesnt have errors.

Could it be that your ibook's system bus/hdd speed is significantly slower than the AMD, or maybe the software isnt set to burn at 24/max speed??

As far I know toast 6 you can just choose speed as "max". That means, you cannot be sure if you are really burning at 24x. Unfortunantely the burning speed is very much dependant on the media. Esspecially in such speed-factors. And one more thing is that there might be some disc-copy before the burning is starting. It's not easy to find out when the real burning started, since the drive is very silent as well... Hmmmmmmm, how to test? I will think of something and come back to this thread

AFAIK, Nero doesn't verify discs like Toast does... but I could be wrong on this, can anyone verify?

First of all, I've attached below a file with some pics. Unstuff it and then open the pics... Now, continue reading ;)

From the Recorder menu in Toast 6 select Recorder Settings... Then in Basic tab select Write Speed anything between 16-24 and not MAX!

Select the Advanced tab and remove the Verify Data and Simulation Mode. Enable the Buffer Underrun Prevention. Enable if you like the Display Recorder Settings Before Writing. Click OK.

Burn, baby, Burn! :D :)

Your CDs should be ready in 4-5 mins tops! You should know that even while in one CD-RW you may get, say 16x speed, with CD-R blanks from X maker, in another CD-RW you may get, say 8x speed, with that same media. You should ALWAYS prefer CD-R blanks from makers that are more than well known for their quality in their CD-R blanks and not just they have the right price for you ;)

Let us know what gives!

Back