CD-R discs. does brand matter?

PowermacG4_450

OS X Jaguar
Im wondering if brand matters (as far as quality goes), or are they pretty much all the same? I usually get imation discs, made by 3M... 50 of em cost's $23.

But, bestbuy has Maxell's, a 100 pack for $40.... with a rebate.

cost after rebate? $7.99!!!

didnt buy cause Ive never bough maxell before.... so, does brand matter?

thanks. :)

It does. You get what you pay for.
Some cds are dead in one year from when you burn them. So i suggest getting huge packs of 2 kinds of cds: those that need to last and that you do care for, the others for ordinary backups and things that you don't really care after 5 years if you can't read those anymore.

I've been using Memorex "Black" cds for 2 years with no problems. For quick, non important things I have some cheap Verbatiums.

i got memorex CD-RWs once and the data (foil like) part of the CD started peeling off. i've never seen a CD do that before. in anycase, i've got a 5 pack of memorex CD-RW (4 left) if anyone wants them for free. :D i use fujifilm DVD-R/RW and 3M CD-R/RW.

Brand does matter...
And my prefrences are in order:
- Sony
- TDK
- Memorex

Memorex for day-to-day burning, but when I can - I grab Sony or TDK for my more important archives and library.

-Verbatim. They never failed me even after years of usage. Even the Spindle packs!!!
-Sony
-TDK
-Plextor

Especially, the last 2 ones when used with their own CD-RWs devices are unbeatable... Anyways, in the question of does brand matters... The answer is a BIG YES :D

I have Memorex and Maxell CD-Rs and both companies work excellent for me. I have a few in my car for music and they stand up to the below-freezing temperatures overnight as well as the cold temperatures when I start listening in the morning on my way to school.

I like the Black Memorex ones. Scratches seem to matter less. they're about 25$ for 50. i've never had one go bad.

Originally posted by Sogni
I grab Sony or TDK for my more important archives and library.

I consider ALL my data and backups to be important! I would not be burning them if they were not. So, I want my CD's to last a long time!

FYI, Ive been using CD's by Imation (made by a great company, 3M)..... they work great. Highly recommend them. Never had one go bad.

Originally posted by Trip
I bought some RadioShack ones...will those be good?

My brother works for RadioShack - I have a couple of CD-Rs from them that have been in my CD collection for a couple of years now and they still work excellent.

radioshack. lol. Ive always hated that store.... seemed their stuff is quite junky. That's been my experience with them years ago, and why I dont shop their these days.

I could be wrong of course, but thats my experience and view on them. :confused:

Back