CD-R/RW Problem

PowerMacX

Registered
Hi, I have a g4/466 with it's original CD-R/RW drive. Suddenly, all my burns fail verification and the discs become nice looking coasters ;)
Could it be dust on the lenses? Restarting in OS 9 and burning from there didn't fix anything so I don't think it's a software problem...
Also, could a copy-protected music CD cause the drive to malfunction?
(I have a couple, but recently my brother imported a new one he bought just a day before the drive started to malfunction...)

Thanks for any info!

Have you tried burning at a slower speed? Are you doing other things while burning? All these can cause coasters. Ultimately, it could be a bad CD-RW drive, but let's not focus on that now... :D

It could also be, as you said, that the burner might need some cleaning. Let us know how it turns out.

I tried burning at 4x, but it failed too (5 coasters so far!). And, no, I wasn't runing any app at the same time; I disabled the screen saver, hard disk spin-down and desktop picture auto-change.

Have you opened up the G4 for anything? If you have, it could be that maybe a cable came loose or something....

That or a can of compressed air...blow the drive out to see if that helps any.

If not, you might be better off buying a replacement. You can find internal ones for under $50, and you'll get a nice speed increase on your burning too. Yamaha drives work well with Macs, as do Sonys.

Back