CD-ROM drive recognized as HD???

So what is the CD-RW above it? ;)
Try clicking the arrows on the left of the devices to see more info about them.

That CD-RW is the HP external which is slaved to main HD, as stated in my footer... Besides, the original CD-ROM has no RW-capabilities whatsoever

Next to the words Hard Drive at the left, is a little arrow. Click on that arrow and it will point down and you will get all the information about it.

Did you have a CD inserted in that drive when you got that report? It could be it took on the name of the CD that was in there.

there was no CD on the drive, for it wouldn't read any. no error messages, the lid just stayed closed and it made funny noise... CD2.jpg It has totally lost all it's info...

I am assuming that it was working before. Now the question is: What did you install before this happened? Did you open the iMac case before this happened (like to install memory)?
It could be that you dislodged its connection inside the case.

the question is "does it work"? how it shows up in system profilere is pretty irrelevant if it works. my usb microphone shows up as zip 250 drive with disc burning supported, but it works fine as a mic. i'm certainly not going to spend any time worrying about why system profiler says it's something other than what it is.

cheryl: I installed a new HD, so the cable could very well be out of order, will have to reopen the case soon.

edX: nope, no luck on that one... it reads no CD's, and this behaviour started (?) when I inserted a burned disk with some backups...

Sidenote: I'm in contact with Matsushita personnel now, and they have been helpful: first they told me to contact apple, but when I replied that I had no extended warranty, they mailed me their service contacts address... currently I'm inquiring about alternative drives to fit in... namel CR-177B which is currently in production.

Back