cd rom not being recognized

matthummel

Registered
When i stick a cd in the drive, the computer doesn't recognize the cd. This drive can be taken out and replaced with a zip drive or a floppy drive. i have had this problem before and took it to some guy and he fixed the problem, but he is not working anymore. This problem started when i connection became loose and the screen had no picture. I will admit that i tried to fixed the screen problem on advice of some other guy who said he knew macs. He told me to start up by holding ctrl-open apple-o-p. he also reccomended pushing other buttons, but i do not recall. When i plug in my digital camera, it works fine as well as my printer ipod and etc.... This is a black powerbook. I think it is a g3 or g3 pismo. I have mac os X. any help would be appreciated.

Just to clarify the situation, are you talking abou the Reset Parameter RAM key sequence (which is Command, Option, P, and R)? Are you able to boot off of any OS disks or the Hardware Test disk?

dodginess

Have you tried running Disk Utility? It's probably a long shot but you could try a few different things:

1) Run Disk Utility and see if it comes up with any problems
2) Use the Verify Permissions option in Disk Utility
3) Try starting up the computer in 'Safe Boot' mode - just hold down shift as soon as the computer switches on until you see the message that safe boot mode has been enabled.

I don't want to sound unhelpful but you could really do with a copy of the OS X install disk because you can at least use it to extract original copies of the system files. eBay probably has some (legitimate) copies of OS X for sale - how much this will cost obviously depends upon which version you are running.

Alternatively, try opening the Apple System Profiler (accessible from the 'About This Mac' option from the Apple menu or from your Utilities folder) to see if the CD drive is being recognised or not.

HTH,

dodginess

Open up Disk Utility and see if it even registers. Also try turning off the computer, unpluging the drive, turning on the computer, turning off the computer, plugging the drive back in, turning the computer back on. (Or just turn off the computer, unplug the drive and plug it back in, and turn the computer back on to shave a few steps off that might be unnessary.) You definently should try to get your hands on an OS install disk, and if possible a TeckTools disk.

Applications---> Utilities---> Disk Utility

Back