CD-RW Problem with new iBook 14"

sfsheath

Registered
Just came home with my new iBook 14". Great machine but I'm having a problem with the CD-RW. I was looking for a particular CD-R I had burned, the first disk I stuck in was blank so I hit eject because I didn't want to write anything to the disk. Now the iBook won't recognoze either blank CD-R's or ones that I've burned on another machine. It seems to have decided that the drive is CD-ROM only or something like that. Anyway that I can get it to reconsider this decision?

Thank you,

Sebastian.

Are you using OS 9.xxx?
When you say you hit eject, did you press the F12 eject button, or click the eject button on screen?
I had a similar thing with my iBook. If I put in a blank CD, and let the dialogue pop up asking how to prepare it, then used the eject key, it would sometimes lock up and refuse to acknowledge anything in the drive. Under OS 9 it was very temperamental around "marginal" CDs. If a CD was a little scratched or of low quality, the iBook just wouldn't acknowledge it or even eject it. If I then ejected with the emergency release, it would fail to acknowledge anything in the drive.
The problem went away, and it has been some months since it has given me any trouble whatsoever, though I remember I used to reboot in order to get the drive back up.
Any ideas?

Rebooting into OS9, burning some CD's and then booting back into OSX has brought things back to normal. If the problem never returns, I won't look back.

-Sebastian

Back