CD, USB Zip, .smi, .img, .dmg not recognized!

dbogdan

Registered
Over the weekend I grabbed a copy of the 10.1 update from my local CompUSA store and updated my 5G64 "unreleased" GM. All seemed to go swimmingly well... that is until I attempted to mount the AppleWorks 6.2 Update .smi file... It acted like it was mounting, but never appeared anywhere on my desktop. Couldn't find it with Sherlock anywhere either. Same thing happens with .img or .dmg files. DiskCopy says they mount successfully, but where they mount is beyond me.

Then things went from bad to worse...

I went to copy off some critical files to my USB Zip 100 drive, which has worked flawlessly through all versions of OSX (even the now-infamous buggy Public Beta!). Now I get the standard OS message that I have attempted to mount a volume which the OS doesn't recognize. I am graciously given the option to "Continue," "Initialize" or "Eject..." Guess which is the safest... If I "Continue," I never get the volume to appear on the desktop. I didn't even try to "Initialize," since I have critical data on the volume. "Eject" works just fine...

So I opt to burn the stuff off onto my CD, which was working fine the other day. Toast 5.0.2Preview burned successfully, (or so I'm told), but no CD that I attempt to insert is being recognized by the OS any more (Including Apple's own!!)...

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? Is it a bug or have I inadvertantly modified some setting? The finder preferences are indicating that I should be able to view/mount removable items on the desktop, so it can't be that...

The odd thing is that the devices are being recognized, it's just the volumes that are being rejected upon attempting to mount them...

As always, any feedback would be highly appreciated!! :D

Umm I don't what to say besides .. it sounds like you need to freshly install X. Something must have messed up when you upgraded. Sorry, but I wouldn't trust my critical data while the OS is whacked like that. :confused:

Back