CDR Burner not recognized !!!!!

jtdesignsG4

Registered
After I updated OSX to jaquar I am unable to locate my CD Burner. It is a Yamaha burner External connected via SCSI card.

Is there something I am unaware of that the new version of X is not compatible with SCSI cards?

Or do I need to Download new drivers for the burner?

Unfortunately 10.2 breaks CD-R/RW compatibility with drives connected via external SCSI interfaces. I have a Yamaha 6416 CD-RW connected via an Adaptec SCSI card, and this has also stopped being recognised as a burner under 10.2 - although I can still use it as a CD-ROM drive.

I think you have a couple of options - one is take the burner out of the enclosure and try to connect it some other way (I hacked apart a Firewire harddrive enclosure and plugged it into the mac via Firewire for the time being - works perfectly that way) or wait for an update to 10.2 which fixes the problem.

I understand Roxio is working on an update to Toast which fixes some 10.2 problems, but this may not solve the SCSI issue which is more likely to be Apple's domain.

Cheers,

James

Damn that sucks. . . thanks for your info. Maybe I will try and swap it out with my CD drive in hopes of some miracle.

If not, I will either wait or buy a new firewire burner.

Thanks for your help.

James, you mentioned removing the drive from the original enclosure and hooking it up via some other way. I have a Sony Spressa USB CD burner that I could only get working under Toast 4.1.3 under Mac OS 9. While I have a DVD drive in my Sawtooth, I wouldn't mind replacing it with the burner (I like my zip drive in the other bay).

That would mean the Sony Spressa would have to be able to hook up to the IDE cables or whatever. Would such a thing work OK? Would it likely show up for iTunes in OS X?

MDLarson,

There's nothing stopping you from pulling a drive out of an external enclosure and hooking it up through another method. You'll probably find that most USB/Firewire external CD burners are simply IDE Burners (as in a standard internal CD burner) put inside a case with an IDE-USB or IDE-Firewire bridging circuit to handle the connection. As such, I'm sure that you could pull apart your Sony CD Burner to extract the drive, & swap it with the internal IDE DVD player inside your G4.

The only catch with this process is that although you're changing how the CD burner is connected, you're not changing what sort of burner it is, and thus what sort of drivers are available for it. If your burner isn't supported by OS X in the USB enclosure, it may not be supported as an internal drive either, although your chances might be somewhat higher as an internal drive (I don't think USB burner support in OS X is as great as Firewire or IDE burner support). If the case of your USB burner is easily taken apart, I'd certainly give it a go.

On the same lines you could put the DVD player back into the USB case and it should work correctly, although I doubt USB has the data capacity to handle the playback of DVD Video, making the external DVD player only useful as an external CD player.

Hope this helps,

James

It certainly does help, thank you for the info.

I think for now I will be content to burn the few CDs I have in OS 9. It works, albeit at 4X speed.

I sometimes pretend I'm a hardware guy, but once I really get into it, I do more harm than good. Last time I was messing around with my G4 case, I forgot to assign one of my hard drives as a master drive and the end result was complete data loss. So, I go with what I've got nowadays. :D

Back