cdrecord and macos x / darwin

that product appears to be for X Server (Rhapsody) not X public or X beta. I could of course be wrong.

Also, Toast from Roxio a.k.a. adaptec is supposed to ship for X as soon as as it's not beta. Granted this probably won't do much for your command line needs, but it's everything I need in a cd burner. 4 out of 5 geeks recommend it.

command line needs? err

If you're afraid of the mouse I'm sure you'll be able to burn using AppleScript on the command line |-\

Originally posted by theed
that product appears to be for X Server (Rhapsody) not X public or X beta. I could of course be wrong.

You are wrong, it's cool though. The ftp link ajmas provided is for the macos x port. The web page also mentions specifically a macos x port. Of course, I coudn't get it to work, but that's another story.

The man page is here. Looks really interesting.

On the Toast tip: toast is cool, but it costs money. This is free download, ya dig? Plus, there's always the chance of there being some crazy Darwin user out there that doesn't buy the full MacOS X graphical package.

the 1997 mod date on the file, his referal to rhapsody, a version number I've never heard of, and mentions of Next Step all wierd me out. Meanwhile, I'll boot into X server after Im done compressing a movie and see if I can get his code to run.

somehow, it just all seems kinda sketchy, to coin a common college campus phrase.

Originally posted by theed
the 1997 mod date on the file, his referal to rhapsody, a version number I've never heard of, and mentions of Next Step all wierd me out. Meanwhile, I'll boot into X server after Im done compressing a movie and see if I can get his code to run.

I just received an email from the author of the program and he says that it does work in MacOS X but, interestingly enough, not in Darwin because he said that Apple removed SCSI support from Darwin. I did get the program to run, but haven't tried to burn anything yet (being that it's CLI I first need to take the time to learn how). This is cool though, if it works maybe I will make a free GUI front end from this program. Sounds like a cool way to teach myself Objective-C.

Well, I'm glad to stand corrected. It's nice to see true value added to the platform. Although I have to say, it'd take a lot for me personally to move away from the mature burning package that adaptec has fostered.
If nothing else, competition improves the market, and if the competition is free, then everyone has to compete on features and ease of use. :)

The choice between toast and cd-record will always be a personal choice. The important thing, I see with Toast being ported to MacOS X, is that we have alternative for those people comfortable with command line. BTW There are graphical front ends that have been written for X-windows, such as X-CDRoast, they are by no means a refined as Toast, but they do the job.

Cdrecord (all of cdrtools) compile just fine with the
latest cdrtools-1.10

The only problem is that Apple removed the user level SCSI
transport driver from Mac OS X about a year ago.
The latest MacOS with SCSI transport support is the
one that identifies as Mac OS X (not Darwin) with
uname -s

... of course cdrtools compile on work on that version.
If cdrecord should work on Darwin, I either need the
/dev/sg* driver back or help from somebody who can tell
me how to send SCSI commands in Mach native mode.

Since a few weeks, I have a working Darwin system beneath
my desk (headless ;-)

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Apple has a show stopper bug in the system include
files that prevent compilation of POSIX compliant
applications.

The files sys/types.h & inttypes.h (the latter
is new in the latest Mac OS X versions) define
intptr_t & uintptr_t erroneously to be pointers.
This is a hard violation to the standard!

See: http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/inttypes.h.html

Workaround for compilation:

After autoconfiguration is ready, edit the file:

incs/power-macintosh-darwin-cc/xconfig.h

and delete the line:

#define HAVE_INTTYPES_H

Back