CDRWs treated as CD-Rs?

cgp314

Registered
Hello,

I'm having problems using CDRWs in 10.3 on my iBook.

When I insert my CDRW, it shows up in finder with the little burn radiation icon next to it. I can drag files there and burn them, but after that I can't change what's on the CDRW like I should be able to.

Do I have to do anything special to tell 10.3 that I'm using a CDRW and not a CDR?

Thank you for your help.

-Colin

Be sure you didn't burn the CDRW at a speed your drive doesn't support. I've had this problem before when burning a CDRW on my PC at 6x and then attempting to erase it on my older iBook at 2x--it won't read the disc as CDRW.

You should only burn CDRW discs at the speed your Mac can handle.

Erhm... You all misunderstood the initial question. The answer is: CDRWs are burnt on the Mac just like CD-Rs. The one difference is that you can also _erase_ the disks using Disk Utility (or other tools). You can't just handle it like a harddrive, sadly.

True -- what you're thinking you should experience, I believe, is called "Packet Writing" which lets you treat a CD-RW as a removable, writable device like a floppy or a hard drive. Mac OS X doesn't support this. Windows does. You can burn to a CD-RW, but that's it -- you can't drag and drop files on and off the CD-RW.

You CAN erase the CD-RW and start again, like fryke explained, though.

Windows does not support it directly, you need to install a 3rd party app (unless XP now comes with a 3rd party app (Roxio) already built in).

For some reason Adaptec (before it became Roxio) had bad luck getting Packet Writing to work with all Macs (pre OSX) and gave up on it.

This is the only thing I miss from my Windows days and someone needs to get on the ball and do it! It can't be that bad now with OSX!

ARGH!
Colin, I feel your pain!
Burning and Erasing is as close as you're getting to having Packet Writing on Mac for the time being. :(

Actually, I was able to do packet writing on my friend's Dull directly from XP. Figures.

Arden said:
Actually, I was able to do packet writing on my friend's Dull directly from XP. Figures.

Now that I think about it, I do recall something about Roxio stuff being "built in" (included) in XP for CD Burning 'n stuff. That explains it. :p
Didn't work in previous versions of Windows tho (IIRC).

Edit: "Didn't work in previous versions of Windows..." WITHOUT installing 3rd Party Software.

Back