Celine Dion vs New iMacs

Boeing777

Progressive Rules!
Well, this may not be hot news to you guys but it certainly feeds the will to discuss this unprecedented event.

I have no idea about the law in the US, but I certainly know that the UK law protects the consumer if a purchased cd or product causes troubles or malfunctions of your computer whether it's a pc or a Mac.

Now, Celine Dion has super protected her latest cd which causes serious hardware problem with the new iMacs.

Again, the cd has a small warning stating that the CD won't operate on a pc or mac. However, it doesn't state that it will crash your iMac and prevents it from rebooting again.

What's the solution to this? I bet that in Europe many will sue celine and her record company for causing voluntary damage to properties.

What's apple official reaction to all this?

Sounds damn good to me, why didn't we think of it eariler!!

:D ;)

Look, the iMac is about style, don't you think it was making some sort of statement?

I just love posting this link whenever CD protection is mentioned. If you've seen the FoxTrot comic about CD protection you need not visit that site.

well, what can we say...

i have to AGAIN say it: if you buy a copy protected audio cd, you actually help the protectors, which is a bad thing, i firmly believe. if you HAVE to buy it, because you really LIKE the music, download the mp3s from the gnutella network. you can get a client for it at http://www.limewire.com ...

if you ask yourself how people can make mp3s from protected cds: you can make a line with a water resistant marker to prevent the cd-reader from reading the outer ring. or you can copy the tracks to the computer with an analogue sound cable. it's not exactly a 'digital' copy, but it's a copy all the same. and the quality is certainly enough for mp3s.

yeah i read that article a little while back, and i started a protest outside her estate. sorry to inform that no one cared to join me. wonder why? im guessing its because people rather by the CD and have the music "they love" ( although im not sure anyone truly loves Diva Dion ), rather than stand up to that kinda "bull-poop" ( i've been getting warnings from the mods to watch my lip ).

If its gonna burst your iMac into flames, dont put it in the ROM drive. Better yet dont even buy it.

Patient : Doctor it hurst when I do this.
Doctor : Well then don't do that.

( another horrible quote, and yet still suitable )

I'll post a comic in the comics thread about copy-protection. Probably #4. :D

Good ol' Open Firmware:

Open Firmware

1. Restart the computer. If necessary, use the reset/interrupt button.
2. Immediately after the system startup tone, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination. The computer starts up to a text-only screen, indicating that you are in Open Firmware.
3. At the prompt, type: eject cd
4. Press Return.
5. Type: mac-boot
6. Press Return

a couple of things...

about ejecting the CD: I though that if you held the mouse button while booting, the CD woul be ejected. Shouldn't this work on these CDs?

about the copy protection: Apparently, you could do this because there was a visible divide between the data track and the music on the CDs. New versions of the copy protection do not have this visible line you can use to guide your marker/post-it notes/etc.

chip.de who originally posted the story still has a picture up:
1854198_5e1900a4ef.jpg

Does that cancel the copy protection or something? I've heard in some places that placing a small 1 inch in length piece of electrical tape will cancel out the copy protection.
Yet again, those stupid music companies CAN'T WIN. They are just making it harder on themselves. At some point they'll just start selling records that don't play with a GO USE GNUTELLA label on it.

Back