Cell Phone for iSync/reception/value bliss?

mweier

Pixel Farmer
I'm thinking of getting my first non-suck cell phone.. I want to get one capable of connecting with the mac & syncing with my iCal & Addressbook (plus anything else?). I want to be sure it's got good reception & also seamless mac sync integration. Ideally nothing over $200 and nothing too gigantic to fit in cargo pants pockets (I used to use a visor deluxe with springboard module phone & it was a bit too big/unergonomic). Something smaller than 5.5"x2.5" & comfortable is a plus.

What recommendations do people have (especially t-Mobile customers!) with regards to any of the models Apple deems compatible with iSync.
Apple's list of iSync compatible phones
Locally available T-Mobile-compatible unlocked phones

I am totally open to using a USB phone instead of Bluetooth to save money if it proves cheaper (I currently don't have a bluetooth card so would have to add that to the price if the phone requires it).

Thanks!

I own the Ericsson Z600 and enjoy a happy life with iSync via Bluetooth. The reception has never been a problem although I live in the UK so it may be different for you.

For a frame of reference: every previous phone I've had have been Nokias (8110, 7110, 6210, 6310 and 6100) and the Ericsson has surpassed them all in terms of usability and fun.

I can't offer much in the way of experience, but I have a Nokia 3650 that works flawlessly with iSync. However, because of the size, I'm thinking of changing to a SE T637. But the 3650 is great, and I will miss having movies with me!

I use Nextel (which isn't very mac friendly on the syncing part) so I can't say much on the service side.

I can tell you every Nokia phone I owned before the switch was junk. Loads of problems with them and never had good reception. Same case for my parents and both of mybrothers, who have Nokias. I'd stick with a Motorola or Ericsson if possible.

My cousin and his fiancee have Motorola T-300 phones through T-Mobile and they're quite happy with them. If I had to pick from that list at the T-Mobile link you posted, I'd probably get the Motorola V3 Razr ($$$), the Motorola V878, or the Motorola V600. I've heard some good things about their V6x/V6xx series phones.

Motorola is the one providing iTunes support in the near future, so you might want to check on that first if it's of any interest to you.

Back