cell phone preferences

cfleck

tired
i have 3 main desires for a cell phone, and i haven't been able to find such a beast.

1 - bluetooth - love it. need it.
2 - NOT a color screen - color screens suck in the sun. bad.
3 - flip phone - i hate my new open faced phone being scratched up. and i hate cases.

simplicity is key. a nice address book is really all i need. games are nice, but internet access is a bit excessive.

list your pros/cons about cell phones. i'm curious to see where i stand in my tastes compared to this group.

Ericsson t39. info (and pics)
+ standby after over a year of use is 160 hours (1900 MHz= usa) or 250 hours (900/1800= europe)
+ trial band (perfect for US/Europe)
+ small (i hate cases too, so i just have it in my pocket or bag. no scratches)
+ can sync to addressbook. bluetooth
+/- normal ringtones (not polyphonic, i hate polyph.)
+/- old, relatively, so you can maybe find one cheap
+/- black/white screen. only tennis and erix (like kix) as installed games, but i don't use it for gaming
+/- wap (never used), could use internet to some extent.
+ you can switch cards and the time stays (nokias dont conserve time. in many parts of europe prepaid phones are the standard, so if you change y our card, you don't have to change time every single time, with nokia you would have to)
+/- no camera (you probably don't need camera phone?)
+ not too fragile. has dropped a few times unintentionally, no damages
- when you save the address book, it saves only one mobile phone number per contact, so e.g. if your friend has phones in 3 countries you'll need to save him "dave US number" "dave UK number" etc - and it does not save street addresses

this was the last model ericsson made before it became sony ericsson. i like the phone for the size and standby time. a camera phone would be nice, but i have my camera with me all the time anyway.

T39 doesn't have bluetooth. That said, I did have a T39 and it was a solid phone, much better than the phones when it became SE. I also had a T68 and it was rubbish (though my G/F's was slightly better). Have a Nokia 6600 and although it isn't a flip phone, it's wonderful. Great battery, superb battery life, solidly made, bluetooth (syncs easily). Good camera/pda-like functions. Using a 128 mmc card and still have plenty of room, even with dozens of photos and several tv shows on the card.
And it's screen is quite solid in sunlight, even better than a monochrome one.
It might be a little more than you're looking for, but it has everything. It's the G5 of phones.

Flip phones can suffer from display scratches just as bad as regular ones, sometimes worse. They have the 'pick-up' problem like the iBook and PBs do...dirt and junk from the keys getting on the screen, etc..

I know quite a few people with the i730 phones from Motorola, which are color flips, and they have absolutely no issues with the sun. In fact they're better off than the i90 (BW flip) I currently have.

I don't think you'll find a phone which is BW and flip, which also has a feature like Bluetooth. The trend is towards color displays, the only man. of BW flips I know of is Motorola for Nextel.

Why the need for bluetooth though? I dunno, I think people are taking these things a bit far nowadays...the whole idea after all is having a mobile phone.

I work with a guy who has a Ericson Z600 (color flip), he like's the thing, but be forewarned they've very fragile. He's on his 3rd phone...they don't like to be dropped.

Why the need for bluetooth though? I dunno, I think people are taking these things a bit far nowadays...the whole idea after all is having a mobile phone.
Exactly. So surely that means it would be nice to be able to have a comprehensive list of names and PHONE NUMBERS without having to continually update your digital address book on your computer, and change your phone.

t39 has the bluetooth. or is the t39m that has it? i can't figure how much the letters change the ericsson models. the t39m i have definitely has a bluetooth. at least i've been using it, and sync'ed it to the addressbook many times.

Hmm, maybe I had one of the first versions that didn't have it. I think they did do a revision that included it but by then I had moved on to another phone. Thanks for the correction.

My current Phone: nokia 6600
Features:
Symbian OS Smartphone - An excellent OS for phones.You can install games/apps just like a computer
VGA Camera - It's nice to have one on a phone
Polyphonic Ringtones - Nokia phones are RUBBISH at ploy rongtones. My Sonyericsson Z600 sounded much better than any nokia
Video Recorder - Almost useless. Limited to 10 seconds!
:mad:
Multimedia Messaging (MMS) - Nice to have with any camphone!
Bluetooth - A must for handsfree heasdets, sending/recieving data and syncing with computers!
MMC Card support - You can NEVER have too much storage space!

What i would have liked on the 6600:
MP3 playback - The 6600 can with a 3rd pary app but it will only be in mono due to no stereo output jack!
FM Radio - just for a complete mobile entertainment device! :)

You can extend the length of the video to what your mmc card can hold with several third-party applications.
And mp3togo is a great app. Worth the shareware price.

My Favourite Mobile Phone, would have had to have been my trusty Nokia 6250. It was basically a Modern Brick. The only Features it didn't have were GPRS WAP and Bluetooth.
It once spent a Christmas Party in a Jug of Beer; when the Jug was emptied it got transfered to a different Jug. At the end of the Evening, I used it to call a Taxi. We Used to Play "Hackey Sack" with it at Lunch Time. It stored all my Addresses, including Addresses, Multiple Phone Numbers, and Comments. It Stored all my Calender Entries. It had great Security, and if someone did try to steal it from you, you could throw it at them and give them a Concussion. Unfortunately the Dust Proof, Water Proof, Shock Proof phone wasn't Loss Proof and one day I couldn't find it.
My next phone was a Nokia 6310i, which had Bluetooth and GPRS WAP, but it was also the same time that I switched, and it didn't work with iSync… The only way I could Sync it with my Mac was manually type Changes in the Contacts into the iBook, and then, one by one, export the vCards from Address Book and Bluetooth Transfer them to the 6310i.

My Bosses Phone is a Windows Mobile Based Smartphone which Syncs Seamlessly with Outlook. Every field in Outlook matches a field in the Smartphone PDA features.

The closest we can get with iSync Phones would have to be the S-E T800, T900 and Nokia 60-series. The Tx00 phones are a bit over-enabled and underfeatured for my needs, but I've had no experience with the Nokias.

I had both the 39 and the 39m and the m definetly has bluetooth... Great phone, supersmall, this is what a mobile phone should be. This is still my favorite phone. Though my others have a few more bells and whistle this is my baby. Youl should be able to pick up an unlocked one on ebay for under 100 bucks.

I'm now a big cellfone fan. I used to have cingular back in the day with a Nokia 3360. Bad phone. Bad service. I switched to T-Mobile and I love it. I had a Motorola T722i flip phone which had tons of cool features. I recently upgraded to a Motorola V300 and it's great EXCEPT NO BLUETOOTH! Im currently waiting for prices to drop on the Motorola V600 (has bluetoof) or the Sony-Ericsson Z600 or Z1010. Both phones are flip and have bluetooth and all these cool features as well as great cameras. I gotta have a kick-ass color screen and a good camera. I have fun with my phone! I will never go back to Nokia. Only Moto or Sony-Ericsson....or if someone releases something quirky.

i have an ericsson t616 and it sucks. i'm on my 3rd one as they keep breaking on me. they just lock up and die. no more se for me.

Hello ...,
I knew that the Ericsson T39 phone was made in 2 model and three colors:
T39m - world phone
T39mc - same as T39m and capable of chinese input
The colors are:
Classic blue
Ice blue
White rose

I love this phone ... I like the "line" as the T28 (buggy) and T29.
Now I have a T39 Classicl blue (and a Nokia 3310 or it is a 3330??) that has never dropped because it is very light. Now I am looking to buy (collect) other T39 with the others two color (I have 3 GSM SIM cards).
It has IR port and BlueTooth to connect wireless with other devices and has a complete serial modem port (responding to AT commands in the phone; a real modem) to connect serial cable (USB is the same with a COM-USB adapter) at full 115000 bps. New Sony-Ericsson phones (like my brother's T310) have a serial connection UART max speed of 9600 bps so it is impratical to use to connect to Internet even it has GPRS (GPRS speed: about 50000 bps plus software compression .... so the 9600 bps serial connection is a bottleneck) but the IR port can speed up to 4 Mbps!!!
It existed a mini-camera to attach to T39 but it was BW, low resolution and I don't need cell-phone-camera.

The most important thing is the warranty for firmware update:
firmware update is FREE for lifetime!!!

If you need to update the firmware to correct some (many) bugs go to an Ericsson authorized assistence center and after some hour (up to half day) you will have your phone updated to the last firmware without pay a cent (the very opposite the Nokia is doing!!!)
So, I poor student, prefer to enjoy Nokia bugs than give them money... because firmware bugs are not my fault!!!!!!

A la prochene foi_

mi5moav said:
I had both the 39 and the 39m and the m definetly has bluetooth... Great phone, supersmall, this is what a mobile phone should be. This is still my favorite phone. Though my others have a few more bells and whistle this is my baby. Youl should be able to pick up an unlocked one on ebay for under 100 bucks.

Back