Cell processor & OS X ..

Let's say I'm a bit skeptical about the claims of ultra-super-mega improvements in performance. I've heard those "confirmed reports" plenty of times in the past with other products, they've never been true...

I've read in IBM's whitepapers (on Apples developer website) about their XL high performance fortran compilers, and it says in there that the PowerPC 970 was designed based on an early POWER5 design. Seeing this, who knows whats going to happen? maybe the cell will be a multi-core PowerPC chip...

http://images.apple.com/science/pdf/xl_compilers1004.pdf

I'm really starting to think IBM will build a new PC business based on their PowerPC chips, surely this would cost less than going with Intel and Microsoft as it was before, and they could use a user friendly version of Linux, perhaps like Linspire. Can't wait to see what the future brings, hopefully the Cell/dual core PowerPC processor can finally take down Microsoft and Intel.. just my two cents.

And if we go further down this road: If the Cell processor would _really_ become Apple's next main processor and IBM _would_ want to create a new PC business around it, why shouldn't IBM become Apple's partner-in-crime and run over MS big time by adopting Mac OS X? Sure, there are lots of arguments against such a move, but I think if both Apple and IBM were confident in such a move, they could actually break some(body's) ground...

Well, IBM actually *does* have a Linux OS but have yet to release it to the masses.

I'd love to see Eclipse, Linux, and the rest of the tools optimized for the Power5/Cell architecture. Or MacOSX on Cell too.

Parts of what I've read thus far impresses me the most about Cell is the bus bandwidth design.

But will it happen? Apple is too darn stubborn, and IBM is just too darn old-fashioned at times. It'll take a miracle, or Jobs actually listen to somebody outside of himself, to get this to happen.

my fingers are crossed.

Also, remember that IBM recently sold their PC manufacturing side to Lenovo.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5481095.html

"The sale of IBM's PC desktop and notebook computer lines would free the company to focus on higher margin businesses selling computer services, software and more powerful server computers and storage as well as computer chips, analysts say."

How that would influence their future plans for PPC systems I don't know... But it would seem unlikely, after selling 90 of their PC manufacturing wing, that a new breed of PPC systems made solely by IBM would be on the horizon. Maybe they only need that 10% stake to manufature 'new' systems or maybe they'll form an alliance with Apple... it's certainly possible.

Back