Change Sounds

stlboi

Registered
I've searched everywhere and I can't find how to change my sounds, like my welcome sound when I turn on my intel macbook. This has to be possible, right?

Some sound files are here and can be changed;

System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component(Right click or Control click for Package Contents)/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds

The Startup sound is on the Logic Board.

Check SystemSound to change that.

Well, I got SystemSound and added a startup sound which happens after I log in. I'm trying to find the sound that plays soon after you hit the power button. Any idea where that is and how to change it? If I find it and replace it with another sound but keep the name of the file the same and replace it, it should play my custom sound, right? I just need it's location.

That "blong" startup sound, right after you hit the power button, is in firmware/ROM and is not changeable, any more than the beep-beep, famous in older PCs or the silence in the newer PCs.

There is no alternate "bios" you can install.

You can however find a utility that makes the startup sound silent across normal reboots and startups.

Yet more info:
The blong occurs before nearly anything has had time to load. Way before the hard drive, so unless you want to hack your EFI settings (unknown territory. i don't even think i've ever heard of a developer working in that realm...) it is unlikely you will be able to edit that sound.

yup. easier than changing it, is accepting it.

learn to love that sound as the sound of a healthy mac. if you turn it off, and your computer happens to go tits up, you will have lost the first port of diagnosis. if it's a problem that it might wake someone, keep a set of headphones near the mac, which you can plug in if you reboot at night, the sound will get bypassed into the headphones. to be honest, even just a minijack cut of the end of a set of headphones would work, as a totally effective and removable 'patch'.

Thanks guys, it doesn't annoy me at all, just wanted to customize my mac with funny sounds fully across the board. I guess that one will just have to do. :)

Back