changing default browser universally?

tergo

Registered
Being new to Mac, it took me some time to manage browser preferences. First, I learned to use "Get Info | Open with:" for single files, then discovered the "Change All" option affecting files with the same extension.

So right now, double clicking on HTM and HTML files will have them open in my preferred browser. However, whenever I try to access HTM(L) links from a dashboard widget, or from an email program, they will still be handled by Safari instead of my preferred browser.

So I have two questions: (1) Where can I set my preferred browser as a universal default? (2) Can I uninstall Safari without running into problems?

I am running OSX 10.4.7 on an Intel Core Duo universal chip.

Thanks for any hints!

You could uninstall Safari, but since that's currently the only place you can specify your default browser :)(), it would be inadvisable. But once you change the default browser like jh explained, Safari will stay out of your way.

... but since that's currently the only place you can specify your default browser :)(), it would be inadvisable. ...
It is not true that Safari is the only place to specific the default browser. However, it also serves on purpose to delete the browser.

Well, I use 'Jaguar's 'Mac.prefPane' and 'Internet.prefPane' ('/System/Library/PreferencePanes/' folder) in place of 'Tiger's (respective files) - and can once again select the desired 'e-Mail'er application and 'Web browser' - without using 'Mail' or 'Safari', respectively.

Also, I use 'Panther's 'System Preferences' in place of 'Tiger's (respective application).

Attachments

• Sys_Prefer001.jpg
    Sys_Prefer001.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Sys_Prefer002.jpg
    Sys_Prefer002.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 9
To put it more generally for Tiger:

1.) You have to set preferences for different file types you want to open in your browser (you already did that) with the Get-Info window in the Finder. Use "Change all" to keep the default behaviour. This, AFAIK, is *not* handled by number 2.)

2.) Set the default browser in Safari's preferences or any other browser's preferences which has an option for that preference.

Apparently, Apple intended a glorious future, where you'd always open the Mail/Web/FTP/whatever handler of your choice and choose _its_ preferences to set the default. Of course not all 3rd party developers follow Apple's plans religiously, hence there's still software out there unaware of it, although it gets less with users asking the developers for adding it.

Thanks, all of you, for being so very helpful! Not only did this work, it also made me understand _why_ this works how it works. Cheers!

Back