Changing HD Icon in 10.1.2

vidiot1701

Registered
Ok, I used to be able to change my HD Icon back in 10.1.1. But as soon as I upgraded to 10.1.2, I can no longer do this. In fact, it wiped my Icon back to the generic HD Icon.

My HD is partitioned into 2 drives. The main boot drive is the problem. The second drive I can change the Icon all I want.

The culprit appears to be the permission settings for the drive. Under Show Info, the boot drive is labeled as "Owner: system" whereas the 2nd drive is "Owner: robert". I'm currently logged in as the Administrator, so I don't see why I don't have the proper permissions.

Help!

If your mac refuses to change its HD icon, you can do so by logging in as root. In your Login control panel, click the "Login Window" tab. Then select, the Display login window as: "List of users with accounts on this computer". Now log out. Type root as your username & the root password. Change your HD icon, log out. Login as your regular user and it will have the icon you changed it to under the root account!

or even easier yet show info click ignore privledges enter your password and change your icon

here ya go it is under the privileges option.

priv.jpg

Guess what, I don't have that option.

Any thoughts? Could it have anything to do with "group: unknown"?

I've attached my screen shot of the priveleges....

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 27
UPDATE:

Ok, figuring it was a priveleges issue, I decided to log-in as the Root user. From there I set the priveleges for the hard drive of Everyone: Read & Write. That fixed the immediate Icon problem.

However, I made one VERY BAD mistake. I also clicked on "Apply to all enclosed folders". Now I have read/write access EVERYWHERE. Knowing this was a bad idea, I logged in again as Root, and tried to set the Users Folders back to their original states. But I'm having a very difficult time doing this. Priveleges are messed up everywhere. I really screwed up. Any suggestions?

HEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Back