Changing icons for mpg files

pastorjeff2000

Registered
I am in the habit of changing the icons for my .MOV files by selecting a frame while playing the movie and then hitting apple-c, then get info for the file, selecting the icon, and hitting apple-v.

The snag is that this doesn't work for my .MPG files. Is there a reason? This a bug or a "feature"?

barhar

Registered
'The snag is that this doesn't work for my .MPG files.', it never did.
'Is there a reason?', yes - Apple does not allow such action ... directly.
'This a bug or a "feature"?', no - not a bug; nor, a feature.

Workaround:
01. Locate the frame you want, as an icon, in the '.mpg's QuickTime window.
02. Click on the 'Desktop' to bring 'Finder' forward.
03. Do a snapshot ('Command <shift> 4'), and then select the frame portion of the QuickTime window - with the crosshair cursor. On the 'Desktop' will be a file titled 'Picture 1.png' (the extension may / may not be displayed).
04. Use 'Preview' or another Graphic application (such as 'GraphicConverter', GC) to view 'Picture1.png', do a manual selection ('Preview') or 'Select All' ('Command A', with GC) and then copy ('Command C').
05. Locate and select the '.mpg' file whose icon you want to change - do a 'Get Info' ('Command I'), press the <tab> key, do a paste ('Command V'),

pastorjeff2000

Registered
I've tried that before to do the screenshot route and paste it in. For some reason, even though the copy command is working (I can create a new preview document from clipboard), the paste command is greyed out in the get info window for all .MPG files. Really frustrating.