changing IP address (DHCP)???

iknownotwhoiam

Registered
i have a shared DSL connection at my place...my roommate runs internet connection sharing on his windows box...does anyone know if there is any way that i can get a non 192.168.0.1 IP address...does that make sense? what i mean is...is there any way to get the DHCP server to give me an IP address that others may use to connect to FTP/Carracho/ect...an IP that can be accessed from other computers "out there" on the Net?

i'm sorry this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but maybe someone can understand it and figure out what i mean...if so, THANKS!!

axel.

With windows internet connection sharing, its just a basic NAT router which routes all outgoing traffice from the local LAN. Thats why you get the 192.168.x.x.

2 suggestions I can offer you.
- Get a configurable hardware router to route the traffic. It has usually web based configuration utilities.

- Use winroute (the software for PC). Do a search for winroute at download.com. This software has routing, port forwarding and a ton of extra stuff for connection sharing. Turn off windows internet connection sharing when using this.

Winroute has the capability of forwarding external traffic into the LAN by dedicated port forwarding. Thus you can forward your FTP traffic on port 21 and 20, web on port 80 and etc etc in the configuration. Find out all the ports you need to forward to your ip. This is mostly done on your friend's PC though, your mac doesn't need any configuration except for a static IP address. For external sources to connect to your mac, it will be the ip address assigned by your dsl provider. You can use www.networktool.com to find out your actual internet address.

If you need any more help, please feel free to email me at cloudx@mac.com

P.S I'm running my NAT routing on my old PC Solaris box. :D

Back